Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Nostalgia & History > Lantern reporting marks "U.S." ? w/ photos

Date: 09/13/11 12:50
Lantern reporting marks "U.S." ? w/ photos
Author: Brian894x4

I have a couple of what appear to be NOS Dressel lanterns that are marked U.S. 1144. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the reporting marks are for. The 1144 I know is the lantern model number. The lanterns were claimed to be WW2, but I'm guessing they are NOS from the mid to late 1960s as they were pretty much not used at all and look too be in good of shape, even if they were stored in a closet for 70 years.

No other marks other than Dressel + Arlington N.J. on the dome. No patent number on the bottom. My brand new Adlake burners are a tighter fit in these lanterns than other Dressels I have. I thought U.S. government reporting marks were USA. I know the military used to like to mark everything U.S. but these just don't really look like military lanterns.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Brian McCamish
Oregon Pacific Railroad
http://www.oregonpacificrr.com/

Date: 09/14/11 01:26
Re: Lantern reporting marks "U.S." ? w/ photos
Author: ats90mph

No Patent?

Jackpot! Time for me to make a killing off reproductions. I'm sure there is still a market, right?

It's a really nice, unique lantern though. Never seen one like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/11 01:27 by ats90mph.

Date: 09/14/11 21:07
Author: MRS11818

That is a U S Army lantern. I was issued two, one clear and one red when assigned as a conductor / engineer in the 714th Railway Battalion at Fort Eustis. We were also issued switch key, steam manual, rule book, safety rules, timetable and locomotive operators manuals for MRS1's, GP7's, and Baldwin 60 Tonners.

There must have been 100 of those lanterns in the supply room at the diesel shop. They were all painted red.

MRS1 1818

Date: 09/14/11 22:17
Author: lwilton

I'm a little surprised that it was only marked US for the army. Most of what I've seen of WW II stuff was USA for Army, USAAF for Army Air Forces, and of course USN for Navy. I wonder how it came about that it was only US? Probably lost in history.

Date: 09/15/11 01:19

Thanks VERY much for the info and photos.

I've heard of 1144s being used by and painted by the military. Mine didn't come with burners and I wonder if they were issued but were never actually used since they are completely unpainted, but do appear to be plated. Maybe issued at the tail end of the lantern use era?

What years were yours issued if you don't mind me asking and when do you think the military officially stopped using those lanterns and went to all electric lanterns?

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

Brian McCamish

Date: 09/15/11 07:38

Brian894x4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks VERY much for the info and photos.
>
> I've heard of 1144s being used by and painted by
> the military. Mine didn't come with burners and I
> wonder if they were issued but were never actually
> used since they are completely unpainted, but do
> appear to be plated. Maybe issued at the tail end
> of the lantern use era?
>
> What years were yours issued if you don't mind me
> asking and when do you think the military
> officially stopped using those lanterns and went
> to all electric lanterns?
>
> Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!
>
> Brian McCamish

My equipment was issued July 1971. We also were given the old heavy yellow Adlake electric switchmens lanterns but we used our own lighter Stainless Steel ones from home. I think the kero lamps were just a back up if batteries became in short supply. After 8 months at Fort Eustis I was sent to Germany for 25 months working on the (DB) German railroad. They were still using kerosene markers on the rear of a train and coal burning 2-10-0 steam locomotives. We had Baldwin 60 Ton diesels.

MRS1 1818

Date: 09/15/11 07:57

A few more picks from the last of the 714th railroaders at work. The 714th is no more.

Date: 09/15/11 08:07
Author: blphoto

What a great thread of history! Thanks for sharing guys!

Date: 09/15/11 12:42
Author: rnb3

lwilton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a little surprised that it was only marked US
> for the army. Most of what I've seen of WW II
> stuff was USA for Army, USAAF for Army Air Forces,
> and of course USN for Navy. I wonder how it came
> about that it was only US?

Actually there is a lot of Government Issued (G.I.) stuff that is marked only "U.S.". For example; those green wool blankets, the old wooden foot lockers, most of the web gear like ruck sacks, canteen covers, web belts, pistol holsters, and even my brand new multi-cam camo assault pack (a small ruck sack) issued to me a couple weeks ago. I have a couple duffel bags with it on them, and several of my soldier's tool boxes have in embossed in them.

I bet it has to do with marking of material that is not specific to one branch of service, or even the military. I have a USGS flashlight, that has the "U.S." molded in it, and it is exactly like the old army "L" shaped flashlights, except it is yellow and black and is also marked "USGS Mining Safety Light" I have seen Forest service equipment like shovels and fire shelters marked with the "U.S." also.

Remember, every branch had their own rail service till the 1980s, and even the DOT guys used standard railroad equipment that would have been procured with tax dollars through the lowest bidder. Maybe these lanterns were purchased as one big lot and split between all the services/agencies.

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 09/15/11 13:19

Were the military railroads only meant to run on base property railroads and interchange with private railroads at the perimeter of the base or did they ever run on the mainlines?

Is there no more military railroads as in no more base railroads or are whatever might be left contracted out to private operators now?

Brian McCamish

Date: 09/15/11 17:23
Rail Operations at Some US Installations
Author: cozephyr

The Army operates several railheads at their US posts. Three or four locomotives are based at Fort Carson near Colorado Springs, CO, Noted June 18, 2010 were units 4653, 6506 Genset 3GS21B, and 4611 GP10/GP16.

Date: 09/15/11 17:36

Brian

Military railroaders can do anything required for what ever theater of war they are in. Depot, yard, branch line or main line.

The military if necessary will go to the civilian railroads to make up a battalion for what ever the needs are.

In 1971 most everything had been reduced to depot operations.

MRS1 1818

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0755 seconds