Home Open Account Help 162 users online

Nostalgia & History > Morgantown IN yes or no

Date: 10/09/11 07:50
Morgantown IN yes or no
Author: santafedan

I found some old post cards at out Fall festival this week.
The station is Morgantown Indiana. The loco is an Illinois Central engine. The reverse on the card is a Morgantown postal stamp. I am questioning the location of the train crew and loco.
The track as you look north curves from the left to right it looks as if the train on the track is curving the other way. The back ground to the right of the photo is not likely as there should be rather open fields in that direction. Unless that is far away enough to be an elevator on the old NYC.
Any ideas?

Date: 10/09/11 10:12
Re: Morgantown IN yes or no
Author: lwilton

That elevator or whatever it is is pretty close. The picture appears to have been taken at the left side of a dirt road crossing the tracks, and you can see the road continuing on toward the tall building. It seems to go under something like a grape arbor, or maybe that is actually a truck enterance under the tall building. There is also a large lower building more or less parallel to the tracks, perhaps behind or attached to the tall building. Assuming a normal lens, I'd say the building is only a few hundred feet from the tracks at most.

Date: 10/09/11 10:42
Author: CCDeWeese

I sure like the picture of the IC depot. I worked the agency there for three weeks, I think in the summer of 1958 or 1959. Sorry that I cannot help with the location of the engine though.

Date: 10/09/11 17:16
Author: INRD1753

There was an elevator on the old NYC that the IC began to serve after the rails were pulled to Trafalgar and to Morgantown. If the train was NB on the IC, it is possible to have seen the elevator, especially back then before the trees matured. I don't think that view is possible today, although the elevator still stands.

Gerald Davenport

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds