Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Nostalgia & History > Porterville-Orosi District south of Porterville

Date: 11/12/12 20:18
Porterville-Orosi District south of Porterville
Author: lamta_jay

Just some right of way shots taken south of Porterville on Santa Fe's Porterville - Orosi District between 1983 and 1986. Now I wish I had photographed the spurs in this area.

First at Ducor looking south at the Junction switch in 1983.

Second taken at MP62 Magnolia of the station sign. You could almost make out the Santa Fe-Southern Pacific above the name Magnolia in 1985

Third taken at MP65 between Ultra and Magnolia taken in 1986.

Sorry no trains but I got the right of way shots that today are just wide spots. Nothing is left of the old Porterville - Orosi District,

Glad I got a copy of the Santa Fe Historical and Modeling 3rd Qtr 2009 magazine with lots of information on this line I had forgotten about

Hope this is of some interest

Jay

Date: 11/12/12 22:59
Re: Porterville-Orosi District south of Porterville
Author: coach

I can't believe this line was signaled, or that that siding has a signal. Just how busy was this line way back??

Date: 11/13/12 06:36
Author: rehunn

The signal you mention is at the Junction of the SP/Santa Fe joint
trackage and was ABS all the way to the mainline.

Date: 11/13/12 07:10
Author: lamta_jay

I believe at one time the Exeter line was ABS all the way to Exeter. I saw a picture in the Visalia Electric Book that shows a train at the Junction of the Exeter Line and the Visalia to Goshen line that had a block signal.

Santa Fe had no signals on any of their branch lines in the SJ Valley. I did like the bit in the employee's timetable about the Porterville-Orosi District....
"No switch lights between Minkler and Ducor". I guess the Visalia District had switch lights.

I only wish I had seen more...oh well

Jay

Date: 11/14/12 04:42
Author: Railfan4Christ

Picture no. 2-if you look at it today, you almost could not tell there was ever a railroad through here. It has been filled in and planted with orange trees.

Date: 11/14/12 06:33
Author: rehunn

Picture #2 doesn't give the area justice, it was at the top of a hill and backed
up a little, a very scenic spot.

Date: 11/14/12 17:39
Author: spjim

There are a lot more photos of this area on this website:
http://coastdaylight.com/esl/cncph_esl.html

Jim Lancaster

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0445 seconds