Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Nostalgia & History > Phoebe Snow's dining car supplies

Date: 12/02/12 17:49
Phoebe Snow's dining car supplies
Author: njmidland

It is always amazing to me the amount of china, silver, linens, flatware, glasses, menus, and more.

In the first photo these are silver pieces purchased by the Lackawanna in 1949 to stock the new diners for their new Hoboken to Buffalo train, the Phoebe Snow. These pieces were really modern (for their time) for the conservative DL&W.

In the second photo some of these items along with reproduced china and flatware are staged in one of the two Phoebe Snow diners this Summer. The Phoebe Snow china was equally a modern departure for the Lackawanna.

Tim

Date: 12/02/12 19:25
Re: Phoebe Snow's dining car supplies
Author: DynamicBrake

Wouldn't mind having that collection...BEAUTIFUL!! Worth a pretty penny too I'll bet.

Kent in Carmel Valley

Date: 12/02/12 19:51
Author: J.Ferris

Tim,

That is beyond awesome!

J.

Date: 12/02/12 23:04
Author: EMD2024

An elegant and very traditional table setting. I've got a pair of Great Northern S&P's nearly (if not totally) identical to the set pictured.

MWP in STL

Date: 12/03/12 06:04
Author: njmidland

EMD2024 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An elegant and very traditional table setting.
> I've got a pair of Great Northern S&P's nearly (if
> not totally) identical to the set pictured.

All the silver pieces shown were made by International Silver which made a lot of silver pieces for many U.S. railroads. Previously the Lackawanna used Reed & Barton. Those pieces always look older than they really are and perhaps that's why the DL&W (and others) started buying from IS when they wanted to portray a more modern look.

Tim

Date: 12/03/12 20:09
Author: 567Chant

I want to don a coat and tie just to look at these pics!
...Lorenzo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds