Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Nostalgia & History > Pasties and Domes for UP Fans

Date: 12/08/12 03:37
Pasties and Domes for UP Fans
Author: bandob

These photos were taken by my brother (and fellow TO member) so I'm pretty sure it is OK to post them. I don't know the date and details of the trip, but I'm sure others on here will. Before the former DSS&A lines were abandonded East of Marquette in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, passenger excursions were operated. Here's views of a former U.P. dome in the consist of one train. UP in the U.P.

B&OBill

Date: 12/08/12 05:19
Re: Pasties and Domes for UP Fans
Author: 2ebright

Pasties, pasties? Oh, I see; the kind you eat. I was thinking something else.

Dick

Date: 12/08/12 06:33
Author: dan

maybe huntington chapters dome that is now charter wires

Date: 12/08/12 06:46
Author: Out_Of_Service

2ebright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pasties, pasties? Oh, I see; the kind you eat. I
> was thinking something else.
>
> Dick

we think alike :-)

Date: 12/08/12 15:00
Author: shoretower

No, that was a Clark Johnson trip in 1990. I was on it. The dome was a dome diner, and that's where we had our meals. The train left Schiller Park Yard on the WC, went up the WC main to East Troy, where we were met by the East Troy Electric RR car and covered that line. We then continued north and east to an interchange with the Nicollet Badger Northern, which operated a piece of a former CNW line. We covered the entire operable (barely) line from Tipler to Wabeno, then laid over for the night at the interchange. Next morning, went to Sault Ste. Marie, crossed the international bridge, and went north to Canyon on the rear of the Algoma Central train. Came back across the Soo, went to the junction of the former DSS&A (forget the name of the place), backed through the interchange, and went to Marquette, MI where we laid over for the night on the main track. Next morning, interchanged to LS&I and covered most of the railroad (including the ore dock). Then we ran west to Nestoria and down to end of track at Baraga, then over OOS trackage Nestoria to Sidnaw to interchange to GB&W for Ontonogon.

It was overnight in Ontonogon, then back down to Green Bay on GB&W (former MILW). We parked overnight at the former MILW station (now a bank). The next morning we went south through De Pere on former MILW track now abandoned, all the way down to Milwaukee, where we went out to Waukesha and back south to Schiller Park on the WC. Quite a trip. A wonderful time was had by all.

Date: 12/08/12 16:18
Author: RuleG

Wow: UP on the U.P! Never saw that before.

2ebright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pasties, pasties? Oh, I see; the kind you eat. I
> was thinking something else.
>
> Dick

during a trip to the Upper Peninsula 20 years ago, I was puzzled by all of the signs I saw for pasties. I quickly learned they were a delicious food.

More on pasties discussed in this recent thread on a U.P. subject:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2928392,2929913#msg-2929913

Date: 12/08/12 18:05
Author: Gateway97

Nice ! Just had my very first pastie this summer in St. Ignace. I've never been big on Rutabagas but it was tasty.

Date: 12/08/12 19:07
Author: chakk

All three of these photos look like they were taken in or near Marquette, MI.

Date: 12/08/12 21:13
Author: The_Chief_Way

that's a dome coach...7003
doesn't look like the kind of cars one would see on a High Iron trip.....
coaches from the Ft Wayne people visible also

Date: 12/09/12 14:48
Author: truxtrax

Why is the train on the turntable in Pic#1?

Larry Dodgion
Wilsonville, OR

Date: 12/09/12 19:49
Author: chakk

The turntable in Marquette at the time of this photo was at the end of a siding from the main line, on which excursion trains were typically parked. I don't recall there being any tracks left connected to the turntable on which locomotives could be parked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/14 16:20 by chakk.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0601 seconds