Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Nostalgia & History > Rent-A-Wrecks and Pool Power at Pepper

Date: 12/12/12 08:49
Rent-A-Wrecks and Pool Power at Pepper
Author: SP8595

Pepper Ave. overpass located at the East end of West Colton yard in Southern California has always been (and still is by looking at "westernkings" Pepper reports) a Great place to watch trains. Sometimes it was a place to end a chase of a train you had been following or it could be the start of an adventure to catch a train heading up either Cajon Pass or Beaumont Hill. It also is frequented by many railfans and was where you could "talk shop" or get the latest scoop!
In the mid to late 80's, Southern Pacific was desperately short on motive power and leased engines from many sources. Since most of this power was second hand "junk", they earned the nickname of Rent-A-Wrecks! A lot of people didn't care for the variety during this time but I thought it was Awesome catching other railroads hand-me-downs running out their last miles on the SP!

1)On a hazy afternoon in April of 1988, a set of power heads for the fuel rack in the foreground with Paducah & Louisville (ex-Missouri Pacific) SD40's 3041 and 3049 along with a Cotton Belt (SSW) SW-1500. In the background, EMD GP60 demonstrators #5 and #6 lead a trio of Tunnel motors on an Eastbound stack train and are momentarily blue-flagged out on the mainline.

2)Surrounded by Cotton Belt and Southern Pacific B30-7's, a pair of ex-Conrail GP40's pass by each other. Helm Leasing 3060, which is still in Conrail blue and repainted Kyle Railways 3109 (ex CR 3089) are also joined by NHL (EX BN) SD45 6498 in September of 1987.

3)In October of 1987, some employees at the truck in the background seem to be taking a break to check out the assemblage of motive power passing by heading Westbound on this drag freight that includes Paducah & Louisville SD40 3034, HLC high nose (ex-Southern SD45) 3123 and SP GP20E 4112. Cotton Belt (SSW) SD45T-2 9258 along with Rio Grande SD40T-2 5382 are changing crews out on the mainline.

Date: 12/12/12 09:09
Re: Rent-A-Wrecks and Pool Power at Pepper
Author: jc76

Wow

Date: 12/12/12 09:35
Author: santafe199

What a motley group! 1 dog from every town indeed...

;^)

Date: 12/12/12 09:44
Author: pass2000

Great shots of the rainbow era on the SP! Just because they are rented, doesn't mean they are wrecks. The Mopac units are sweet, along with that ex-Southern hi hood. Certainly beats seeing the same yellow fellows that are on the point of every train these days!

Date: 12/12/12 09:54
Author: the_expediter

That SP GP20E 4112 belonged on the SD&AE...Running over Goat Canyon Trestle in Carrizo Gorge...had it still existed in 1987! BTW- THX for posting GRRRRReat pics!!- Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/12 09:58 by the_expediter.

Date: 12/12/12 10:08
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

What a beautiful diversity of paint schemes
and models! I really miss all those different
RRs and paint schemes and models. Those were
the days! Great photos! Bring back good memories.

Date: 12/12/12 10:12
Author: TedS-P

With utmost respect...I hate you ;-)

Ted S-P

Date: 12/12/12 10:41
Author: Fizzboy7

Wow, great look back! SP sure put on a good show with the wild power consists!

Date: 12/12/12 17:10
Author: Evan_Werkema

Peter Piper's pack of pool power pics at Pepper? ;^)

Date: 12/12/12 18:26
Author: TonyJ

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Peter Piper's pack of pool power pics at Pepper?
> ;^)

Very good!

Date: 12/12/12 20:01
Author: Thumper

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Peter Piper's pack of pool power pics at Pepper?
> ;^)

Ouch!

Have you no shame????

Date: 12/13/12 01:46
Author: Steamjocky

The nickname for the SP could have been "The Rainbow Railroad."

JDE

Date: 12/13/12 05:29
Author: HRGXguy

"They followed me home! Can we keep them?"

HRGXguy,
something for everyone there, it seems...

Date: 12/13/12 07:35
Author: tiderail

I love the shot of 3060. It looks like it has brass sunshades, like some of my units I put into service before I painted them. Great photos. I sort of like the rough looking units, shows they are workers.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0642 seconds