Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Nostalgia & History > Santa Fe Badge "Chico Fan Club"!

Date: 03/01/13 15:33
Santa Fe Badge "Chico Fan Club"!
Author: Starship_Conductor

While going through some box's of Santa Fe stuff, I found this 2 inch tin button
that I got as a kid while riding the Santa Fe Super Chief to Los Angeles. I love
the logo, so I spent some time in my drawing software and reproduced the image.
Wouldn't it make a great 2 to 3 inch pin-back button!?! LOL!!!

Date: 03/01/13 15:47
Re: Santa Fe Badge "Chico Fan Club"!
Author: Starship_Conductor

Date: 03/01/13 16:47
Author: Steamjocky

Why does this not surprise me?

JDE

Date: 03/01/13 17:25
Author: Miles

The Santa Fe also had a little stick man called axedent they used on there safety progams any one remember?

Date: 03/01/13 17:30
Author: africansteam

Miles Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Santa Fe also had a little stick man called
> axedent they used on there safety progams any one
> remember?

"Wipe out Axy Dent in freight shipment." or just "Wipe out Axy Dent" on shop rags.

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/13 15:52 by africansteam.

Date: 03/01/13 17:45
Author: Miles

You the man Jack as you can spell axy dent forgot the shop rags may still have a couple.

Date: 03/01/13 18:51
Author: bnsfbob

When I was a kid, the Santa Fe sales rep would visit my dad at his business and give away tons of stuff: calendars, note pads, pencils, etc. Chico was on many items. When the SP rep would call, my dad would then give him crap: "look at all the neat stuff I got from the Santa Fe guys". Later my dad did get an SP promotional item, a plastic ruler which said Southern Pacific Transportation Company on it. My dad then gave the SP rep more crap: "...you mean you guys aren't a railroad anymore?"

Over the years, I've accumulated quite a collection of Santa Fe promotional items. I'm just amazed at the huge variety of items including oddities like cardboard hand-operated fans. Often, at RR shows, I will run into new items I didn't even know existed.

Back in the day, AT&SF had quite a marketing dept. They loved being a railroad. The only sad thing was after about 1968 when they dropped promoting passenger trains like a hot potato.

Bob

Date: 03/01/13 18:59
Author: DNRY122

I remember seeing "Stop Axy Dent" painted on a sign at the San Bernardino Shops in 1969. Regarding passenger trains: Santa Fe may have stopped promoting them, but they (and UP) "ran them like they meant it" right up to Amday (1 May 1971).

Date: 03/01/13 20:46
Author: kachina19-20

I had a paper route in 1970 and 1971 delivering the Chicago Tribune in my neighborhood. I would take a transistor radio with me and listen to (because I emulated my dad in every way)the top morning drive radio host, Wally Phillips, on WGN. The Santa Fe routinely had advertising spots that Wally would read, promoting the Super Chief, it's Turquoise Room, and a fine steak dinner while departing Chicago, right up to Amtrak.

Dave Johansen
Glen Ellyn, IL

Date: 03/01/13 22:46
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

kachina19-20 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had a paper route in 1970 and 1971 delivering
> the Chicago Tribune in my neighborhood. I would
> take a transistor radio with me and listen to
> (because I emulated my dad in every way)the top
> morning drive radio host, Wally Phillips, on WGN.
> The Santa Fe routinely had advertising spots that
> Wally would read, promoting the Super Chief, it's
> Turquoise Room, and a fine steak dinner while
> departing Chicago, right up to Amtrak.

In the late 1960s I remember KTTV-TV here in Los Angeles having Santa Fe as a regular sponsor for their 10 PM nightly newscast, back when George Putnam, Alex Drier and Larry Burrell were the anchors. They used to have several spots that promoted passenger service and even had a special spot where, in 1967, they more or less patted themselves on the back by "rising to the occasion" when an airline strike put lots of passengers back on the rails --- temporarily.

Date: 03/02/13 02:17
Author: wpdude

Be nice to Chico! I recall a cartoon drawing where he got the "best" of SP's golden pig during the ill-fated SF-SP merger. If anyone knows what I am refering to, and TO will allow, you should post it.

Date: 03/02/13 09:11
Author: wag216

bnsfbob- The "drop" in 1968, is the LBJ 's Postmaster Larry O'Brian murder of the RPO and the HPOs. The Santa Fe had the Sfe passenger folks doing there very best "shot", Austin Dunning, Bob Flynn at Wichita office.
Your bn buddies (CB&Q), were good workers, also.
If you want the whole story, read O'Brian's airline business story. wag216 (please my give my spelling)

Date: 03/02/13 13:09
Author: RD10747

Over the years, when I was drafted by the Agent, L J Ray,
when assigned to LA..I handed out Chico buttons (blue & white) to the bous, and Pink and white Courier Nurse
buttons for the girls..this was in the late 1940s...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/13 13:11 by Agt-Highland.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0597 seconds