Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Nostalgia & History > Switcher Saturday at the 'Bluffs'

Date: 06/29/13 05:48
Switcher Saturday at the 'Bluffs'
Author: santafe199

In the 70's my railfan photography slowly converted from shooting car & engine rosters for modeling purposes (custom paint & decal work) over to full blown recording of action & history. Yup, the day in 1978 when the Santa Fe hired me into train service was more or less my last day as a modeler. Roster shots became a very minor non-priority. That's not to say I passed up a good roster shot when one presented itself. I just wasn't aggressive in pursuing rosters.

Here is an example of one of those 'not-passing-one-up' times. Just think about how free & easy shooting was in 1977! If I'd had the nerve to climb up and close that door this shot would score an A+. But I'll settle for an A-...

1. UP 1859 poses at Council Bluffs, IA in August of 1977.

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/22 23:03 by santafe199.

Date: 06/29/13 19:39
Re: Switcher Saturday at the 'Bluffs'
Author: john1082

Very nice

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 06/30/13 06:14
Re: Switcher Saturday at the 'Bluffs'
Author: 4-12-2

Thanks for sharing, Lance. I saw and shot lots of those SW's all around the Omaha area, especially as they began disappearing. I think managed to get quite a few of the SW-10's as they were released from Omaha Shop. Those, the early Geep's formed an important part of my early days and I was interested in capturing them. Wish I'd had a better camera.

John Bush
Omaha

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds