Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Nostalgia & History > Gladstone Branch upon electricification

Date: 10/30/13 08:18
Gladstone Branch upon electricification
Author: njmidland

In the early 1930's, the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western electrified their commuter services between Hoboken, Dover, Monclair and Gladstone. This is a souvenir ticket is from the inaugural trip between Summit and Gladstone on the Passaic & Delaware Branch, originally the Passaic Valley & Peapack Railroad, and then the NJ West Line Railway, which dreamed of connecting with the Lehigh Valley Railroad at Phillipsburg (hence the Delaware in Passaic & Delaware).

Tim

Date: 10/30/13 08:27
Re: Gladstone Branch upon electricification
Author: BlackWidow

I wonder how they planned to go over the mountains west of Gladstone if Phillipsburg was their intention!

Date: 10/30/13 09:10
Re: Gladstone Branch upon electricification
Author: njmidland

BlackWidow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder how they planned to go over the mountains
> west of Gladstone if Phillipsburg was their
> intention!

Somewhere I have seen the proposed route - it sort of followed the route the Rockaway Valley RR would use and then sort of followed the same route the CNJ did.

The former Sussex Railroad was supposed to reach the Erie at Port Jervis, NY but ended at Branchville, NJ. The New York & Greenwood Lake was supposed to continue north of Greenwood Lake and reach what would become the NYO&W at Middletown, NY. I think a lot of these early railroads had big dreams that collided at some point with reality and really expensive engineering.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds