Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Nostalgia & History > Somewhere West of Mojave. . .

Date: 11/08/13 20:57
Somewhere West of Mojave. . .
Author: africansteam

The Jordan playboy has been downgraded to a Pontiac Lemans. Not a real Lemans but rather a Korean version of the German Opal.

The 8319 is the real deal. June 1993.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 11/08/13 21:41
Re: Somewhere West of Mojave. . .
Author: coach

This is the strangest post of the week. I have no idea what this guy is talking about. Just weird.

Date: 11/08/13 23:15
Author: Chooch

Maybe, but the picture tells it all. Love the SP.

Jim

Date: 11/08/13 23:49
Author: engine3420

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the strangest post of the week. I have no
> idea what this guy is talking about. Just weird.

" somewhere west of Laramie " …..you have to be a car guy to get this and Africansteam is one.

Date: 11/09/13 00:44
Author: Fizzboy7

Pic of the month! Just drooling over that snoot! Check out the slightly spread-out road digit numbers and "clean" areas around the door handles.
The Pontiac Lemans was a compact car offered around that time. A friend of mine from Fresno had one and we'd cross our fingers it would make it over the Grapevine. It didn't have the most power, to put it lightly. In fact, at idle, you could watch the tach jump a few hundred just from powering the windows up and down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/13 00:45 by Fizzboy7.

Date: 11/09/13 03:27
Author: Notch16

Search the web for "Somewhere West of Laramie"... one of the most famous car ads and pioneering ad copy in the history of U.S. advertising.

~ BZ

Date: 11/09/13 06:18
Author: RGDave

AWESOME desert image! This is the SP as I remember it. Thanks for sharing!

~RGDave

Date: 11/09/13 07:41
Author: SP8595

SP "snoots", nothing finer to look at even awesome machines to run! Love that shot!

Date: 11/09/13 22:52
Author: Steamjocky

That's Clyde Bennett behind the throttle. He's one of the "good old boys" and I mean that in a nice way. Clyde started out as a clerk and then transferred to engine service on the San Joaquin Division in LA. After the UP took over, Clyde, and a few others, went to Roseville to work where I believe Clyde is still working if he's not already retired.

JDE

Date: 11/09/13 22:56
Author: Fizzboy7

This is one of those types of photos I wish to copy, print, and hang up in my living room.

Date: 11/10/13 20:05
Author: ble692

Steamjocky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's Clyde Bennett behind the throttle. He's
> one of the "good old boys" and I mean that in a
> nice way. Clyde started out as a clerk and then
> transferred to engine service on the San Joaquin
> Division in LA. After the UP took over, Clyde,
> and a few others, went to Roseville to work where
> I believe Clyde is still working if he's not
> already retired.
>
> JDE

Clyde is still hanging on, although I can't believe it will be for much longer. Definitely one of the good guys. He actually transferred up in 1994 to the Stockton/Tracy/Roseville South roster. I think he said it was the Northridge earthquake that was the final straw for him in Southern California. If he had waited until the hubs went in during 1999, he would have been able to bring his 1970's engineer date up with him, instead of going to the bottom with a 1994 date.

Poking around on the internet tonight, I just found a brief clip of a grayer Clyde in action a little more recently. You gotta look quick, but that is him throttling off at the 3:25 mark in the video at the link below.

http://donnerrails.com/videos/the-spreader-snow-plow-part-i/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/13 22:09 by ble692.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0695 seconds