Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Nostalgia & History > Last Night...Blood Moon, Tonight...Bloody Noses

Date: 04/15/14 22:28
Last Night...Blood Moon, Tonight...Bloody Noses
Author: GRNDMND

Red being the commonality in this post. Here are three from the past of the beloved (or hated, depending on who you are) Espee. All three in Southern California and all have U33C's in the lead with someone else's locos trailing.
#1 - The e/b "APE" ready to leave from Fletcher Ave at Taylor in LA on Oct. 19, 1972 behind two SP U33C's, a PC U28B and a C&O GP30
#2 - Another e/b, the hot "MSE" behind a U33C and three Chessie System GP40-2's in City of Industry 41 years ago yesterday, April 14,1973
#3 - Eastbound (now a southbound in UP-speak) at Cozy Dell in Cajon on March 20, 1977 behind U33C 8665 and three UP locos
Thanks for looking back when, as "oyw" says, "Pool is Cool" and it wasn't all c#@p!

KC - ahhh...the seventies

Date: 04/16/14 01:41
Re: Last Night...Blood Moon, Tonight...Bloody Noses
Author: Red

Can't say I really liked running early GEs, but, by Golly, they had one ferocious BARK to them that the later GE models didn't/do not have!!! Pre-exaust silencer stacks (just as pre-exhaust silencer EMDs put out so much more noise, and pre-"Q-Fans."). One time I got off a train I'd brought into Jeff City, MO with 3 C30-7s, and a GP40X 4th out. And for once, those GEs just drowned OUT that EMD in the consist as the hoghead that relieved me chugged out of town with those things as I was leaving the depot before I got into my car. Just had to stand there and listen to them bark off into a beautiful summer evening just before dusk had settled. It was a beautiful sound, and now both models long GONE. Great photos!!!

Also, in dynmamic braking on the U-Boats & Dash-7s, the prime mover (unlike on EMDs which would simply rev up to Notch 5 on Dash 2s), they'd rev up to Notch 8 in dynamic braking as soon as you went into even Notch 1 in DB). They made a lot of noise back in the day, GEs and EMDs both did!!!

Date: 04/16/14 09:28
Author: bradleymckay

Nice photo's Kevin.

Now I'm going to check your memory...do you remember why those UP U30C's were running on SP??

Allen

Date: 04/16/14 10:20
Author: GRNDMND

bradleymckay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photo's Kevin.
>
> Now I'm going to check your memory...do you
> remember why those UP U30C's were running on SP??
>
>
> Allen

What memory? That's why I need the photos... :)

KC - Do tell, Allen and thanks btw

Date: 04/16/14 10:30
Author: Red

Didn't some of those SP U33Cs have a lifespan as short as 4-5 years? I know some lasted longer, but some of them had a VERY short life, indeed.

Date: 04/16/14 11:41
Author: WAF

bradleymckay Wrote:
> Nice photo's Kevin.
>
> Now I'm going to check your memory...do you
> remember why those UP U30C's were running on SP??
>
>
> Allen

Because UP SD40-2s had the same problem that SP SD45T-2 and Amtrak SDP40Fs with curves over 3 degrees. UP sent U28C and 30Cs to fill in for the absence of UP SDs

Date: 04/16/14 21:59
Author: ProAmtrak

Red Wrote:
> Didn't some of those SP U33Cs have a lifespan as
> short as 4-5 years? I know some lasted longer, but
> some of them had a VERY short life, indeed.

I ain't gonna forget back in 86 when my dad and I were at Taylor yard and I saw like 2-3 rows of those units on the deadline! SP probably was the only railroad that had problems with them, everyone else kept those U Boats a lot longer!

Date: 04/17/14 13:09
Author: SP8595

Pool is always cool:} Great scenes with foreign engines behind those six-axle SP GE's! That first shot is really neat with the PC and C&O painted engines. Keep sharing more of your So. Cal. shots from the seventies, they are way groovy!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds