Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Nostalgia & History > Alco RS-1 & 539 Prime Mover

Date: 09/10/14 08:35
Alco RS-1 & 539 Prime Mover
Author: LarryDoyle

I went up to Duluth yesterday to take two runs, but planned it so I'd arrive about an hour early so I could do some research and take pictures for the thread that's now running concurrently on this board regarding the Milwaukee Boxcabs. I took over 50 pictures, and over the next couple days I'll post some to address some thoughts and questions that have been expressed regarding those locomotives.

Pulling into the shop area, first thing I found was SD-18 DM&IR 193, not running, coupled to RS-1 DSSA 101 which was running.

I went directly into the shop building and asked Marty, "Please tell me I'm taking the 101 to Two Harbors, today."

He grinned and answered, "I think you'll stand a better chance of getting back if you take the 193."

Darn!

Anyway, I went out in the yard and took this cell phone video of the 101, just to capture the sound of a 539.

-John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/14 08:54 by LarryDoyle.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/10/14 08:41
Re: Alco RS-1 & 539 Prime Mover
Author: ButteStBrakeman

I think maybe you forgot the video, John.

V

SLOCONDR

Date: 09/10/14 08:41
Author: TomPlatten

Ah yes, the classic sounds of a tug boat engine! We have three of them here at OERM. They are tough to kill!

Date: 09/10/14 09:35
Author: RFandPFan

NICE!!!

Date: 09/11/14 08:55
Author: YG

Love that sound!

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 09/13/14 21:09
Author: dcmkris

Nice sound and I love that engine! Such a great paint scheme even if it doesn't have the correct step wells that's OK in my book.
Much less of a pain in the ass to get on and off of with those as compared to the originals she was built with.

Thanks for posting.

Kris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds