Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Nostalgia & History > Unidentified vacation pictures...

Date: 09/30/14 15:38
Unidentified vacation pictures...
Author: Last_WP_Disp

I was going through some old pictures of a vacation taken about ten plus years ago in the Great Lakes area but have no idea what they are. Can someone tell me where I was and the story about these cars?

Date: 09/30/14 15:49
Re: Unidentified vacation pictures...
Author: photobob

I can tell you one thing they are from Great Britain.

Date: 09/30/14 16:20
Author: miralomarail

Might be the cars VIA acquired from England, after they arrived and before being placed in service

Date: 09/30/14 17:09
Author: Topfuel

miralomarail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Might be the cars VIA acquired from England,
> after they arrived and before being placed in
> service

Correct. Maybe you were in the Toronto area. This was before the cars were heavily modified inside and out to make them compatible for North American service.

Date: 09/30/14 18:47

Two pictures later is this Wisconsin Central Business car....the picture before looks like a dinner train with a GP unit numbered 193! As soon as I can figure how to turn the picture 90 degrees I will post it.

Date: 09/30/14 19:42
Author: dwatry

Yes these are the cars originally produced in Britain for the Chunnel sleeper trains. VIA bought them, refit them for North American use, and they are running today as the "Renaissance" fleet. They are used on a number of trains - I have ridden them on the Ocean from Montreal to Halifax. Despite the constrained British loading gauge, they are quite comfortable cars.

Date: 10/01/14 00:43
Author: ghCBNS

Your photos were probably taken at the Bombardier plant in Thunder Bay, Ontario where the cars were modified for VIA after they arrived from Britain in 2001.

They are in service today on VIA’s Montreal <> Halifax “Ocean” along with a Budd “Park Car” and occasionally with an additional Budd sleeper attached.

Date: 10/01/14 00:46
Author: ghCBNS

>

Date: 10/01/14 19:13

Thanks TO community for your help....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds