Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Nostalgia & History > This Is Not Another Spencer E-unit Picture

Date: 11/24/14 19:17
This Is Not Another Spencer E-unit Picture
Author: MartyBernard

A couple of months before the E-units came to town and a winter after the NS Heritage units came to town, these guys were out in the spring air (May 4, 2013).

The scene is, of course, The North Carolina Transportation Museum's (ex-SOU) turntable and roundhouse. Left to right, SOU GP30 2601, NS AS-416 1616, and NW GP9 620. The Geeps are operable.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/14 19:18 by MartyBernard.

Date: 11/24/14 20:24
Re: This Is Not Another Spencer E-unit Picture
Author: agentatascadero

Marty, You have an extensive photo collection, and I do thank you for the generosity of your many postings. That being said, I'm really more of a steam guy.....but this is a great shot of those modern doohickies. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 11/24/14 21:48
Author: GN599

What's the story with the Baldwin as far as not being operable.

Date: 11/24/14 23:08
Author: MartyBernard

Don't know why the Baldwin is down but I'm sure it's low priority.

Marty Bernard

Date: 11/25/14 05:45
Author: ctillnc

NCTM has had financial limitations ever since it lost state funding for operations several years ago. The state still provides funding for facilities renovation and maintenance, but that doesn't include locomotives. A significant number of jobs at the museum were eliminated. The museum appears to have stabilized, largely through increased use of volunteers, but don't expect them to tackle a major equipment initiative unless somebody else pays for it.

Date: 11/25/14 14:46
Author: hogheaded

> That being said, I'm really more of a steam guy.....but this is a great shot of those modern doohickies.

Aw common, Stanford! Can't you admit that you at least like Baldwins like the NS 1616 as much as steam?

I mean, there was always lots of stuff going-on with them - burbling black smoke, all kinds of carbodily secretions that occasionally caused electrical fires, weird air-throttle-related noises, and cab appliances that were like something out of Frankenstein's laboratory. Each unit seems to have had its idiosyncratic quirks like steamers. In fact, I'm not even sure that they were a technological advance over steam locomotives.

How can this be any less interesting than steam?

-E.O.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0994 seconds