Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Nostalgia & History > When I was a Barbarian #9

Date: 12/19/14 11:41
When I was a Barbarian #9
Author: BoilingMan

Photo 1. Finally the Superliners took over in the winter of 1980-81. I don't remember exactly when, but this slide is dated Feb '81. This is 11 just east of the double track along the bird refuge. The SDP-40F on the point is kinda interesting- they disappeared very quickly once the HEP Superliners showed up.

Photo 2. The east end of the SB yard track at Milpas Street. I always liked that signal bridge (I think it's gone now). To the right you can just make out the outside rail of a track curving away- is was the old roundhouse lead, and where the 4449 sat during the AFT's visit on New Years Day 1976.

Photo 3. Crew change for 11. I figure the old timers can have a crack at recognizing the faces. With the train having stopped, the crossing gates for State Street are cycling up.

Photo 4. SP cars on the rear of 11. I really need a spotters guide for these cars! I'm going to guess it's the Oakland with the markers?

Photos 5&6. Rolling bye 11 on the ledge over the beach between Miramar (Montecito) and Ortega (Summerland). This was later, mid 80's, after I'd hired on with Amtrak as an LSA and no longer lived in SB- I must have been home for a visit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/14 11:51 by BoilingMan.

Date: 12/19/14 11:42
Re: When I was a Barbarian #9

cont

Date: 12/19/14 11:52
Author: Josiah

The cantilever signal bridge at Milpas street disappeared when CTC came to town and new signals and motor switch were installed. Below are my notes on the track upgrades through Santa Barbara.

Josiah

2-17-02
The west Switch SBA was changed out Tuesday February 5 and the east switch was changed out Tuesday February 12. CTC was cut over February 16 & 17.

The Pacific, Mission and Seacliff blocks ceased to exist at 16:35 on Sunday February 17, 2002.

Date: 12/19/14 13:20
Author: spnudge

Can't really see the crews faces. The guy with the yellow hard hat used to do windows or ice on the engines from the SP days. Looks like an officer was riding the second unit.

Thanks,

Nudge

Date: 12/19/14 13:41
Author: garrett

First pic looks to be where the zoo is nowadays.

Date: 12/19/14 14:08
Author: WAF

When Superliners came on the scene, the SP293 Shasta Coach was equipped with special diaphragms to mate with the tall cars. As the business car fleet was rebuilt, this was done to each car. Very good, it is the Car Oakland

Date: 12/19/14 14:13

Yes, it's off to the left (the zoo) and was there when I made this photo (Opened in the early 60's) Fun fact that's not too off topic: The Zoo is named "A Child's Estate". This is a bit of word play- the name implies it's a place a kid would invent or desire, but it's actually more literal that that. The property was formerly the home of Mrs. Lillian Child. Back in the day there was a fairly substantial hobo camp on the corner of the property that existed with Mrs. Child's blessing- she acted as a sort of patron and protector of the camp. She willed the land to the City with the stipulation the camp be allowed to stay.
She passed away in 1951 and the City eventually made the place the home of the zoo. The hobo camp faded away, probably disappearing entirely when crews began running through SB without stopping.
SR

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/14 14:17 by BoilingMan.

Date: 12/19/14 19:47
Author: spnudge

I read or saw a news thing about the camp not too long ago that someone was killed or something? Maybe it was TOO long ago.

That was a famous place for pictures, even with the SP PR.

Nudge.

Date: 12/19/14 20:36

Amtrak for years sold a post card that was much like my first photo, but a little to the right. I have kept it on my 'fridge for nearly 30 years. I've worked the Capitols since their inaugural in December 1991, but before that I was an LSA on 11/14, the train on the post card. The reason I've held on to this card for so long is in the background on the hill behind 11: the Montecito Country Club. When I was about 15 or 16 years old I had a summer job up there selling soft drinks, coffee, etc poolside. Today, nearly 50 years later, I'm aboard the train- doing much the same thing! My entire career on a 25 cent post card.
It gives one a humbling perspective...
SR

Date: 12/20/14 08:31
Author: Josiah

spnudge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read or saw a news thing about the camp not too
> long ago that someone was killed or something?
> Maybe it was TOO long ago.
>
>
> Nudge.

The area from Carrillo Street to east of the Duck Pond seems to harbor the homeless and yes, deceased from natural causes or murders do seem to happen every year along with suicides by train. The UP, Caltrans and local police have done a lot in the last couple of years to remove excess vegetation between the north switch Santa Barbara and Olive Mill Road south of the Duck Pond. Less vegetation provides less areas to hide and the homeless seem to go else where.

Josiah

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0638 seconds