Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Nostalgia & History > The South Shore Just Southeast of the Loop

Date: 02/22/15 12:50
The South Shore Just Southeast of the Loop
Author: MartyBernard

These photos were taken August 18, 1982 about 2 miles southeast of the Loop in Chicago.

1. On the ramp up to the St. Charles Air Line is an ICG freight pulled by GP40s 3065 and 3066. CSS&SB 22 (Pullman built in 1927) leads an inbound just minutes away from Randolph Street Terminal. More or less behind me is South Lake Shore drive, then Burnham Harbor, then Meigs Field (now a park), and then Lake Michigan. On the hill is Donnelley Lakeside Press. The expanded McCormick Place now would dominate the left of the photo.

2., 3., and 4. Three more pictures of South Shore trains from about the same place.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/15 13:02 by MartyBernard.

Date: 02/22/15 12:51
Re: The South Shore Just Southeast of the Loop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/15 12:58 by MartyBernard.

Date: 02/22/15 23:04
Author: lwilton

In photo 3, are the two rusting billboards just that -- the rusty backs of two billboards -- or something else?

Date: 02/22/15 23:07

I don't remember anything special about them. They may be neon signs.

Marty Bernard

Date: 02/23/15 06:02
Author: inCHI

That first shot is excellent, what luck you had to get the timing right and such nice light. For one, it had to be early morning to get the sun at that angle. I've tried quite a few options trying to get photos of CN trains there and some views are certainly closed off now.

Date: 02/23/15 07:48
Author: colehour

Thanks for the photos. I continue to admire the RR Donnelly building, a beautiful example of commercial architecture. The presses are gone, and I understand that the building now houses computer servers.

Of course, as someone who had his first South Shore ride nearly 60 years ago, I appreciate the photos of the "orange cars." I still use the South Shore regularly.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds