Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Study in Noses - Santa Fe Style

Date: 03/02/15 03:53
A Study in Noses - Santa Fe Style
Author: Q4960

Anyone else remember the day when the Santa Fe at Corwith Yard in Chicago would allow photographers on the property? I believe that it was on Sundays within a very limited area and time frame. It was on one of those Sundays that I took this photo - a contrast in noses.

Roger Holmes

Date: 03/02/15 05:41
Re: A Study in Noses - Santa Fe Style
Author: AJnCorrie

Nice...

Date: 03/02/15 05:57
Author: icemancne

I certainly do. One day I arrived with a friend, and we went to the tower to sign the release. Just for the sake of asking, we asked if we could go out on the roof of the tower, never expecting them to allow it. SURPRISE! They let us out there. We had a great view of the inbound lead and switching leads. I remember getting great shots of SD45-2's and F/FP45's.
One trip we also saw the one and only CF30B being inspected by a bunch of white hats.

Good times!

Frank D.

Date: 03/02/15 06:16
Author: 3rdswitch

Like it.
JB

Date: 03/02/15 08:15
Author: randgust

I sure remember, it was July 1980 for me.

After a day of frenetic commando railfanning photography in Chicago - complete with no less than three pursuits out of various yards by rail security on a supposedly 'fully authorized' railfan event.... we then went into Corwith and thoroughly disgusted by our 'hosts', I took the lead on this one.

Just so happens at that time I was a very small Santa Fe shareholder, and had my identification to prove it. Went into the (beautiful!!) receptionist office and asked permission to photograph.

We were given the run of the place after a safety briefing. Got great shots, just like the lead ones here. You know that saying, they treated us like we owned the place? Yeah, probably about one spike worth, but I never forgot it.

Date: 03/02/15 08:15
Author: santafe199

Nicely done, Roger! A very clever theme.

Lance

Date: 03/02/15 09:37
Author: ATSF100WEST

Very nice, Roger.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0352 seconds