Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP Coast Line South of San Jose

Date: 04/09/15 06:18
SP Coast Line South of San Jose
Author: MaineLines

I caught the same train I posted yesterday at the San Jose depot once more a little further down the coast line. I think it was somewhere near Gilroy, CA.

Date: 04/09/15 06:44
Re: SP Coast Line South of San Jose
Author: TonyJ

Looks to be between Gilroy and Carnedero. I miss that area.

Date: 04/09/15 08:47
Author: Betsy

Whoa that's a nice image!  It really captures the feeling of being in the Salina Valley.  At the time, a couple of SP SDs and some PFE reefers wouldn't have generated much excitement, just everyday stuff.  But none of it is now, and the wisdom that comes with time makes one want to go back and appreciate the whole scene.  Photos such as this will have to suffice...

Elizabeth

Date: 04/09/15 09:44
Author: korotaj

Not the Salinas Valley. Santa Clara Valley south of Gilroy and the branch line to Hollister. Scene still looks the same today and the old packing house (?) is still there. Good row crop land.

Date: 04/09/15 20:30
Author: SPB

Just south of where CA highway 25 to Holister crosses the old SP coast main.  Gerry

Date: 04/09/15 22:00
Author: Exespee

I believe that spot where the building is or was called Miller.  I remember it because many,many years ago I was firing for Frank Giesler and he got a knuckle there just ahead of #76 and I think we stabbed them for an hour.  Supposedly Frank's brother Jerry was a well known Hollywood attorney and was mixed up with many movie people.  Funny how a picture brings back many things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/15 10:25 by Exespee.

Date: 04/10/15 18:23
Author: busdriver

Great shot!  I miss the searchlights that were on each side of the tracks just a little bit ahead of the train, but out of the shot......

Bryce

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds