Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Nostalgia & History > Hopewell Junction, NY Station

Date: 04/26/15 04:40
Hopewell Junction, NY Station
Author: Ray_Murphy

These pictures show the station at Hopewell Junction, New York over the years. Hopewell Junction is a town in Dutchess County and is about 10 miles inland from the Hudson River.

The station, a board-and-batten building with a half-hipped roof, was built c1880 by the Dutchess and Columbia RR (later the Newburgh, Dutchess and Connecticut, and for a brief time the New York, Montreal and Boston - talk about naming over-reach!) which went through the town on a southwest-northeast alignment.

Shortly thereafter the CNE crossed this line at Hopewell on its way from Danbury, CT to the Poughkeepsie bridge (hence the name change for the town).

My first pictures were taken c1962 when the station served as the agent's office for the New Haven as well as a storage location for track supplies (Pictures #1, #2). The agent's name was Les Stelback, and he let me make detailed sketches of every part of the building.

The next pictures were taken c1970 when the line was operated by the Penn Central. It was a much less active location at that time, and the deterioration of the site is evident.

Picture #3 shows an eastbound PC freight passing the station.

Picture #4 shows the "facilities" (yes, in a built-up area not far from New York City in 1970 no less).

Picture #5 shows the view looking southwest with the alignment of the track headed toward Beacon clearly in view (this track survives).

Following the abandonment of the Maybrook line after the 1974 fire on the Poughkeepsie bridge, the station fell into disuse and for a time it looked like there was no hope for it. However, in recent years it has been restored by a dedicated group of volunteers and now serves as an information centre on the Dutchess Rail Trail, which replaced part of the Maybrook line through Dutchess County (Pictures #6, #7).

Ray   

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/15 04:46 by Ray_Murphy.

Date: 04/26/15 04:41
Re: Hopewell Junction, NY Station

Next ones...

Date: 04/26/15 04:41
Author: hwb36604

I love that COE Hy-Rail

Date: 04/26/15 04:42

Last one...

Date: 04/26/15 05:56

hwb36604 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love that COE Hy-Rail

Here's a close up...

Ray

Date: 04/26/15 05:57
Author: knightswell

Great photos and story!

Date: 04/26/15 07:25
Author: CPR_4000

The Hi-railer is a Jeep, no? The vehicles in these photos are at least as interesting as the structure. Beautiful restoration, too. I wonder how many model railroaders would think to install a depot at 90 degrees to the tracks like this?

Date: 04/26/15 09:28
Author: knotch8

CPR_4000, you're absolutely right.

Of course, it was built by the Dutchess & Columbia, the original railroad mentioned, not by the New Haven, so it was built to serve the original alignment, which was abandoned fairly early.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/15 09:40 by knotch8.

Date: 04/26/15 09:42

Here's the other hi-rail MOW vehicle.

Ray

Date: 04/26/15 10:51
Author: CPR_4000

I think that's  Jeep, too.

Date: 04/27/15 13:06
Author: Gonut1

Both Jeeps.
Gonut

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1023 seconds