Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Nostalgia & History > GM Van Nuys Plant

Date: 05/21/15 22:08
GM Van Nuys Plant
Author: rwtempe

I'm looking for aerial photos of the GM Van Nuys plant. I've not been able to locate anything on the web. I'm modeling the early 1980s, but frankly any overhead view will help. 

Thanks in advance!

Date: 05/22/15 00:48
Re: GM Van Nuys Plant
Author: StarshipConductor

Sorry, this is the best I could do. 2 photos of The General Motors Plant Van Nuys, Ca. 1949.
In the 1980's there were more GM buildings. I couldn't find any ariel photos from the 1980's.
(Thought you might like a picture of an eSPee auto train too!)

Steve

Date: 05/22/15 00:56

CLOSE UP.

Date: 05/22/15 01:07

GEMCO Yard office and Turntable. The Yard Office is still there and used today!

Date: 05/22/15 07:01
Author: rwtempe

Thanks Steve!

Date: 05/22/15 08:12
Author: railstiesballast

Thanks, any idea of the date of the second image?
It would be interesting to gauge how many years it took to build those residential subdivisions.

Date: 05/22/15 08:55
Author: Out_Of_Service

Date: 05/22/15 11:32
Author: TCnR

The site historicaerials dot com usually has interesting views of that area.

Date: 05/22/15 15:21
Author: northridgeswitcher

While not from the eighties here is what the main building looks like today.

The 1949 photos appear (to me) to be quite different from the layout in the late 70's to early 80's.

I attached this photo as a reference point to go along with following:

You were able to turn on a side street off of Van Nuys Blvd and follow it around to a sort of paved road where you could stop against the west end of the building.   It was a great place to shoot photos from not only of the plant activities but the Gemco yard as well.   On any given morning, afternoon there was a lot going on.

If you look towards the rear of the photo you will note 2 tall green trees and a fence in front of them.   Tracks used to go in and out at that spot during your time period.   There was another building east of the main building that I am 95% sure they pushed cars in and out of.

As another posted noted, I agree there were more buildings but I am not sure how many. 

Did you try looking on the GM web-site (thinking they might have a history section with photos)?

Also and SP books from that time period.

Its a great plant to model.   Are you modeling in N or HO Scale?

While not actually what you asked for I hope this info helps.

Northridge Switcher

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1974 seconds