Home Open Account Help 210 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP 2242 but it's the 2nd car that's a mystery

Date: 06/08/15 15:43
SP 2242 but it's the 2nd car that's a mystery
Author: edsaalig

All three photos were taken at Mira Loma on March of 1974.  The first photos is of SP coach 2242.  The second photo is the inside of SP 2242.  Must have just come from service.  It was very clean!  The third photo is the car attached to SP 2242 in the first photo.  It is a Pennsylvania Railroad  Pullman.  The number is hard to read, however I believe it is 438? or jurst 438.  It could be a different number, but the first two numbers do look to be 43.  The name was not recorded nor can it be read from the photo.  Anyone know the name and number of this car sent to Amtrak?

Date: 06/08/15 15:44
Re: SP 2242 but it's the 2nd car that's a mystery
Author: The_Chief_Way

That kind of looks like the "Elberton."

Date: 06/08/15 16:29
Author: IC_2024

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That kind of looks like the "Elberton."

Yes, I think so, too.  I just researched David C Warner's "Amtrak by the Numbers" and found this on p.120:
Amtrak #2239, sleeper 11BR, prev owner PC (PRR) prev #4381, Elberton, Budd 1949.   Retired  Oct-1981.  Built as 10-6 sleeper 8337, rblt 1959, retained name. 

Date: 06/08/15 18:20
Author: The_Chief_Way

Yes, a one-of-a-kind rebuild.

Date: 06/08/15 19:33
Author: Topfuel

Good call, The_Chief_Way.  Yes, the Elberton was a one-off odd-ball that lasted until Superliners came circa 1981.  Supposedly this car had a fire in the roomette end in the late '50's, and thus became a candidate for an 11 bedroom conversion in 1959.  Though, the 5 new bedrooms were not the as-built BL/BC style, but had the "elevator" style upper berths and the 2 folding chairs for seating during the day.  Pullman Standard called them the "S" style bedrooms. 

Date: 06/09/15 10:00
Author: ATSF3751

Thanks for the interior photo! The car looks original inside and out.

Date: 06/09/15 14:36
Author: retcsxcfm

Topfuel Wrote:
> Good call, The_Chief_Way.  Yes, the Elberton was
> a one-off odd-ball that lasted until Superliners
> came circa 1981.  Supposedly this car had a fire
> in the roomette end in the late '50's, and thus
> became a candidate for an 11 bedroom conversion in
> 1959.  Though, the 5 new bedrooms were not the
> as-built BL/BC style, but had the "elevator"
> style upper berths and the 2 folding chairs for
> seating during the day.  Pullman Standard called
> them the "S" style bedrooms. 

The Elberton was involved in a grade crossing accident at Ft.Green Springs,Fl in April 1956.
The car was a NY to Boca Grande,Fl sleeper via the Seaboard Air Line Railroad.Early in the
morning the southbound train was broadsided by a gasoline tanker going eastbound.He never
applied brakes.He might have been blinded by the sun.The train was pulled by one of SAL's
Baldwin babyface passenger units.It had a baggage car,a HW coach and the Elberton.The
truck hit just behind the locomotive and splashed gas all over the coach.The driver and three
crew in the coach were killed.
I went to the site soon after but did not take any photos.
All the cars were brought back to Tampa's Gary Shop where they sat for years.I went into
the Air Force in June and did not find out about the car being rebuilt until several years later.
After rebuild from a 10-6 to the 11DBR it ran on one set of the Broadway Limited much to
the dismay of PRR purists that wanted an all tuscan consist.
Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 06/09/15 21:28
Author: edsaalig

How long did Amtrak keep the car and what has become of the car?

Date: 06/12/15 14:38
Author: MEKoch

I remember spending a night on the Elberton on the Broadway Ltd. in 1974.   Amtrak assigned the car there.

Date: 06/13/15 14:52
Author: agentatascadero

ATSF3751 Wrote:
> Thanks for the interior photo! The car looks
> original inside and out.                                                                                                     ATSF, I'm figuring your comments apply to the SP 2242.  What you see is not exactly "original".  This car has been altered to a high capacity coach, my guess is 76 seats, in what was originally a 44 or 48 seat car.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0653 seconds