Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Nostalgia & History > Remember the PTPCX

Date: 08/26/15 17:47
Remember the PTPCX
Author: lamta_jay

I think thats what they called the Pacific Coast Xpress when they first started.

Kind of a short train with all May Trucking Company Trailers. Taken just past Slater approaching Cawelo siding.

I always thought of a DJ friend of mine  from the 1960's on KPPC in Pasadena named Bill Slater when I passed by here. I am sure Slater was just a RR name.

Thanks for looking

Jay

Date: 08/26/15 20:23
Re: Remember the PTPCX
Author: bradleymckay

More Slaters:  A long time SP engineer in Bakersfield was Ted Slater...he worked the helpers quite a bit.

A Santa Fe conductor that worked Bakersfield - Barstow was Charlie Slater.

The two were not related.

Allen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/15 20:24 by bradleymckay.

Date: 08/26/15 21:11
Author: MtVernon_Tower

Funny how May Trucking doesn't even use rail between LA and Portland anymore. Lots of them on the freeway and at truck stops though.

Adam

Date: 08/26/15 22:03
Author: coosbaytoday

Here is one of those trains approaching McCredie Springs OR, on the Cascade main.   http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1833746,1833746#1833746
Todd Montgomery
Springfield OR

Date: 08/27/15 00:56
Author: Fizzboy7

Photo sums up SP San Joaquin Valley railroading very well.   That particular PCX train could have been one of the first or perhaps and second section.   Pretty rare to have it that short and with solid May's on it.   Thanks for sharing!

Date: 08/27/15 06:02
Author: PCX

Probably a shot from 1991 when the trains first started running, as it was May along with Gordon Trucking for a time, then everybody was jumping on board with the new service. Within a couple of years, 2nd sections were being run later in the week. A very colorful train indeed back in the day. Then UP came along and the trains were history...will never figure that one out. Gordon is back running on the UP's I-5 trains, but haven't heard of May running anything on those trains in a long time.

Thanks for the look back...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/15 06:17 by PCX.

Date: 09/02/15 00:48
Author: coach

I remember hearing one of the PCX trains howling down the valley one night while I was sleeping in my truck.  Impressive sound hearing the SP actually go fast.

Along that note, it's funny how BNSF and UP both roll on a flat valley down there, but BNSF consistently goes faster with their trains, even though the UP line has been around longer.  Go figure.

Date: 09/02/15 21:52
Author: Orient

And the reason the SP lost the contract is....? I would like to see more truck riding the rails. Easier access in terminals to ship trailers. Why there isn't more pursuit of such business is really unknown. Even the TOFC facility in Oklahoma City was shut down. Poor managing by the railroads involved. If they had a desire to railroad, they would.

Date: 09/02/15 23:31
Author: wabash2800

Could be a very low margin.

Date: 09/03/15 00:16
Author: Fizzboy7

I recall reading in Flimsies way back in the day that SP was not meeting the on-time agreement for this train.  So May said bye.   Not all was lost though.  Many other carries hung on and were partners with the SP till the end.   UP has grabbed a few new companies too, and some have also left.   Maybe it's just the nature of intermodal.   BNSF goes through many different trucking companies in any given five year span.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0329 seconds