Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Nostalgia & History > The early years in NJT's Raritan (NJ) yard

Date: 02/06/16 13:33
The early years in NJT's Raritan (NJ) yard
Author: Pattenburg

While going through my black and white photos, I came across this undated photo of NJ Transit's Raritan (NJ) yard. Back then it usually was no issue to walk around the perimeter of this yard. In my opinion there is a lot to be seen in this photo. NJT 4103 is about to head out on its run once the conductor boards. Note the former CNJ coaches behind 4103, a GP40PH-2 ex-CNJ 3674. In the background can be seen CR 5921, a GP7 ex-ERIE 1401. Further back in the yard there is two former CNJ diesels still wearing their "V" stripes. That tank car off to the scene's left was what was used to collect the used oil if memory serves me correctly. Any other comments regarding what else can be seen in this photo would be appreciated!

Date: 02/06/16 13:38
Re: The early years in NJT's Raritan (NJ) yard
Author: boejoe

Don't overlook the two former passenger cars sitting on the ground to the right of the service building.  (and the mainline elevation in the background)

Date: 02/06/16 13:50
Author: sig292

I remember being able to walk around the perimeter of the yard when I was a teenager. Sometimes the conductor of the train I would ride down to Raritan (from Dunellen) would let me stay on the train past the station right into the yard!  Here is a shot of an Ex-CNJ GP-40P at the sanding tower near the west end of the yard in 1978.
Ken Gear

Date: 02/06/16 13:59
Author: MartyBernard

Hanging on the power pole next to 4103 I spy what looks like a telephone and some sort of connecrting cords.  My guess is that the cords are for getting HEP power to and between the coaches, but that's just a guess.

Yes there is much to see in that photo.

Marty Bernard

Date: 02/06/16 16:08
Author: Chooch

Betcha Bob Malinoski would remember these pics if he were here.

Jim
Hatboro, PA​

Date: 02/07/16 03:50
Author: JPB

There's a whole beach under that sand tower!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds