Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Nostalgia & History > Toto Tuesday: Back to Nature

Date: 05/31/16 05:43
Toto Tuesday: Back to Nature
Author: PRose

Frederick, KS was incorporated in 1909 as a shipping point at the junction of the Missouri Pacific and Frisco Railroads.  The Frisco line was the Wichita to Ellsworth, KS branch crossing the Mop's Pueblo Main.  In 2015, the population of Frederick was 18 with no mayor and no city council.   Although the Mop Pueblo Line is still intact through Frederick, operated by the K&O Railroad, the Frisco branch is gone. 

1) Looking south on the old Frisco Branch toward the Mop at Frederick, one can barely make out where the railroad was.  The Santa Fe used this Frisco Branch from Lyons to Lorraine, KS on its Lyons to Galatia, KS branch. 

2) What is left of the gate protecting the long gone diamond at Frederick.

Both photos:  May 18, 2016.

Thanks for looking.

Bob Helling
PRose

Date: 05/31/16 06:27
Re: Toto Tuesday: Back to Nature
Author: 3rdswitch

How the once mighty have fallen, nice find.
JB

Date: 05/31/16 07:58
Author: santafe199

Once upon a time I rode through that very air space! 'Course, there were rails & ties and lots of little rocks underneath me at the time...

Lanzo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/16 08:28 by santafe199.

Date: 05/31/16 08:21
Author: ddg

I'm pretty sure that was the gate we stopped at on the way to Galatia. We opened it, pulled the train through, the Conductor on the way car stopped to close it. A car coming eastbound down the highway, ran into the side of a hopper car in our train while we were stopped.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0739 seconds