Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Few CNW SD18's

Date: 07/25/16 21:06
A Few CNW SD18's
Author: UPguy

Growing up around the CNW in sounthern Minnesota in the 80's and 90's I grew fond of the CNW SD18's

First photo is of the CNW 6629 on the WMK22 (sand train) in the hole in Le Seuer MN in June of 1993

Second photo the CNW 6636 and 6635 at Sioux Falls SD preparing to depart the yard with WWN88

Third photo is of CNW 6638 and one other SD18 at Hoffman ave is St. Paul MN

Date: 07/26/16 07:50
Re: A Few CNW SD18's
Author: SCKP187

Nice photos of back then, and the high nose looks great.
Brian Stevens

Date: 07/26/16 07:58
Author: fbe

These were built as Southern SD24 units then purchased by leasing company Precision National. They deturboed some and contracted with the Milwaukee Road to do the same for the PNC lease fleet. They saw service in solid green paint until C&NW purchased/leased the whole bunch for service on their railroad.

Date: 07/26/16 08:15
Author: ntharalson

That Sioux Falls shot had to be near the end of CNW service to that city.  Sioux Falls was on a branch
that came off the Omaha main south of Worthington at a place called Agate, IIRC, and the CNW tried
to abandon it in the 80's, and eventually sold it off to short line operators.  

Now, understand I know you know where you shot your stuff better than I.  However, that Sioux Falls
shot shows a lot more yard than I remember.  Could that possibly be Sioux City?  The two are often
confused.  Just asking.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/26/16 10:57
Author: rsanchez

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Now, understand I know you know where you shot
> your stuff better than I.  However, that Sioux
> Falls
> shot shows a lot more yard than I remember.
>  Could that possibly be Sioux City?  The two are
> often
> confused.  Just asking.  
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

Definitely not Sewer City, the background doesn't match. 

Lived in Sewer City for 22 years.

Date: 07/26/16 14:59
Author: UPguy

I am sure the Sioux Falls picture is correctly identified.I believe the BN yard was next to the CNW yard so some of the tracks in the picture might be BN tracks.  That picture was actually taken by my father. He was a breakman on the CNW at the time working out of St. James MN. The pools out of St. James MN covered the line out to Sioux Falls at the time.  

Date: 07/27/16 07:49
Author: ntharalson

Okay, Sioux Falls it is.  To be truthful, I didn't get a real good look at the Sioux Falls
facilities when I was there in 1972.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 02/19/17 18:19
Author: theshoe

Hello, And comments on the location -- it was with out a doubt Sioux Falls the yard office/ freight house is to the right side of the picture and that (picture) was taken from the east end of the yard. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds