Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Nostalgia & History > Long Train Westbound at Toltec Gorge in 1964

Date: 08/20/16 21:43
Long Train Westbound at Toltec Gorge in 1964
Author: jbwest

In September 1964 Gordon Chappell and I hiked east from Osier hoping to beat this train to Rock Tunnel.  But fortunately we were too slow, because we were able to get images like this of the long train on the hillside above the Rio de Los Pinos west of Toltec Gorge.  The end of the train looks to still be in the tunnel.  Trains were limited to 70 cars and this looks to be close to that limit.   Pretty rugged railroading for cars many of which were over half a centruy old with wooden undertrames.  All this lasted four more years until abandonment in 1968, when the line because todays C&TS tourist railroad.

JBWX

Date: 08/21/16 05:17
Re: Long Train Westbound at Toltec Gorge in 1964
Author: Super_C

A fine shot!  Not many pictures taken from that location.  In 1966, a friend an I with our families along, hiked to Osier from the Los Pinos loop.  I can't recall off the top of my head the name of the trestle we crossed, but I remember it was a bit dicey with wives and kids.  We all got soaked in a downpour on the way out.  Thankfully, it was just rain and not lightning.  We knew there were no trains that day; we just wanted to do some hiking.

Date: 08/21/16 07:42
Author: hogheaded

Must have been quite a sight in person. Anyone know what the drawbar rating on the wooden cars was? I note that the steel oil cars were all ahead of the helper, maybe 20 of them it appears, so that leaves a considerable number of cars behind the help.

EO
There in 1967, but the next train was nearly a week off. Drat.

Date: 08/21/16 08:14
Author: mp51w

You hiked East, but you are on the other side of the gorge?  Amazing perspective!

Date: 08/21/16 09:33
Author: jbwest

mp51w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You hiked East, but you are on the other side of
> the gorge?  Amazing perspective!

We were actually standing on the track.  The line up the east side of Cumbres maintains a fairly steady 1.42 max grade by looping in and out of side canyons, and one of those side canyons is just west of Toltec Gorge.  As far as I have been able to determine, there is no easy way to get to the other side of the canyon except maybe by helicopter.

JBWX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds