Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Nostalgia & History > B&O passenger train and a WM freight train

Date: 08/21/16 09:44
B&O passenger train and a WM freight train
Author: NS4271

1 and 2 - Eastbound B&O at Ohiopyle, PA. in October of 1970.

3 -  Western Maryland westbound on N&W, ex P&WV, getting close to Rook yard, near Pittsburgh, PA.  - December of 1970

Date: 08/21/16 10:06
Re: B&O passenger train and a WM freight train
Author: ClubCar

Thanks for sharing these photos with all of us.  The B&O and Western Maryland were two of my favorite railroads and loved riding on them in the good-ole-days.
John

Date: 08/21/16 12:14
Author: bigkidpgh

Great shots at Ohiopyle!!! Almost in my backyard....but too young to appreciate in 1970 :-(   thanks for sharing!

Date: 08/21/16 13:40
Author: train544

Hi very nice set of pics at Ohio Pyle
Tom Boylan

Date: 08/21/16 14:36
Author: cr7998

Photo #3 is at West Belt Junction in Pittsburgh.  At this location, the train is an N&W train, as it is on the former Pittsburgh & West Virginia, which the N&W took over through a long term lease in 1964.  The train is probably one of the Alpha Jets (First or Second AJ1) to Bellevue OH, that regularly ran with WM power over the old P&WV.   Bridge on the right used to be the west wye connection for the line to Wabash Terminal in downtown Pittsburgh, abandoned in the late 1940's.  Underneath that bridge was the West Side Belt Railroad, to the interchange with the P&LE along the Ohio River just west of downtown Pittsburgh.  The West Side Belt remained in service through the period of N&W operation which lasted until 1990.  The West Side Belt was abandoned in the early 1990's, shortly after the W&LE took over operations on the former P&WV.   The track that the train is on remains in service today for W&LE. 

Date: 08/21/16 15:43
Author: NS4271

Same WM train, but a bit blurry.  But interesting, I hope.

Date: 08/21/16 19:23

Very interesting.  That's the West Side Belt on the lower lever in picture #4.  The switch off the ex-P&WV main to the West Side Belt would have been about 20-25 car lengths to the east.  It looks like a dreary December day, very typical for that time of year in Pittsburgh. 

Date: 08/22/16 14:06
Author: tq-07fan

NS4271 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Same WM train, but a bit blurry.  But
> interesting, I hope.

It's pictures like these where you learn so much on TO. I never knew that Western Maryland power made it to Pittsburgh. Did it ever go farther west?

Jim

Date: 08/22/16 17:03

Yes, WM power regularly ran as far west as the big N&W yard at Bellevue, Ohio, on the Alpha Jet trains.   Likewise, N&W units were regular visitors on the Western Maryland, and even ran as far east as the Reading yard at Rutherford, PA.  It was not unusual to see mixed sets of N&W and WM power on the Alpha Jet trains, First and Second AJ1 westbound, and AJ2 and AJ12 eastbound. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0447 seconds