Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Nostalgia & History > Flare Friday: With 2 little bros

Date: 09/23/16 03:41
Flare Friday: With 2 little bros
Author: santafe199

On a pleasant Sunday evening it was that “in between yards shifts” time at the Emporia roundhouse. Visible are 2 of the 4 regular yard goats, 1233 & 1234 in & serviced. Ready to go for midnight yard jobs that wouldn’t be going on duty for a while yet. I would get around to plopping my tripod down and taking their night time portraits. But they were just little brothers to the one I was really after.

My priority this particular evening was getting a portrait of this fine specimen from the EMD SD-45 class of 1966. From a visual (railfan photographer) standpoint circa 1979 I gave GE’s big U-36-C a slight nod over the SD-45. But from a riding (working head brakeman) standpoint I thought there was nothing better than riding in one of those magnificent SDs. With a modicum of playful imagination those classically flared radiators in back could gave a young head brakeman the illusion of flying. Especially on one of Uncle John’s hotter trains. The deep throaty sound these 3600 horse units produced at higher throttle notches were like no other EMD I ever rode in. Especially under heavy load. And riding one of these beasts at speed through significant track curvature was even a treat! If the curve was sharp enough they had a gentle roll & sway that would make you notice, but never give you cause for alarm.

I’m sorry, my big GE friends: As a working train service railroader my favorite engine model was far & away the SD-45. They just had a flare you guys never did

1. AT&SF 5582 + trailing partner have been serviced and are ready to earn their keep for Uncle John, hauling tonnage into Argentine.
Photo date: April 8, 1979

Thanks for looking back!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/22 21:20 by santafe199.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0341 seconds