Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Nostalgia & History > End of the Week, End of the Train: Some Friday cabooses

Date: 09/23/16 06:25
End of the Week, End of the Train: Some Friday cabooses
Author: march_hare

I suppose that anyone who shoots photos of cabooses is by definition a "hack photographer."  I will plead guilty.  Cabooses were one of those things that would realy identify a railroad as distictive from the others.  Lots of railroads had locomotives that were pretty much the same as the ones everybody else had, but not so much with cabooses.

So lets start off with some shortline cabeese.  These were presumably either home built or acquired from mainline connections.

The Weyerhauser trash train passes over the long trestle at Longview Junction WA in 2004.  This is the shortest wide-vision car I've ever seen.  Was this homebuilt?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/16 16:57 by march_hare.

Date: 09/23/16 06:30
Re: End of the Week, End of the Train: Some Friday cabooses

A couple more:

3)  A TRRA transfer has just crossed the Mississippi River bridge into East St Louis, IL in February of 1986.  Looks like a homebuilt to me.  Anybody know for sure?

4)  Pecos Valley Southern 100 sits at Pecos, TX in January of 1986.  This was a very depressing visit, since the entire RR looked dead as a doornail.  Not sure if they ever ran again.  The hack looks like an Athearn HO model, I assume it is ex-SP?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/16 16:55 by march_hare.

Date: 09/23/16 06:32

At the risk of seeming a little loopy, a real SP caboose at Walong, CA in the mid 1980s.

Date: 09/23/16 09:54
Author: doesyourdogbite

Can't go wrong with caboose photos!

Date: 09/23/16 10:24
Author: PHall

The TRRA car was built by Mt Vernon Car Co.

Date: 09/23/16 20:32
Author: SCKP187

Always a pleasure to see caboose photos.
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds