Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Day at Griffith, Indiana, in March 1976

Date: 01/08/17 04:40
A Day at Griffith, Indiana, in March 1976
Author: GPutz

An e/b EL train passed the tower, Griffith, Indiana, March 1976.  There's more from a day spent here by an unknown potographer at:

https://gjptrains.wordpress.com/category/home/

Gerry

Date: 01/08/17 05:01
Re: A Day at Griffith, Indiana, in March 1976
Author: Bob3985

Great. I too spent some days at Griffith photographing the trains from the several railroads that crossed there.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/08/17 07:16
Author: tq-07fan

Good photos, at least the ones you shared. It makes one wonder how many shoe boxes of decent railroad slides are out there and of course how many have been thrown away?

Jim

Date: 01/08/17 07:29
Author: UPRR3985

Great picture! Years later after the EL was gone the diamonds in the photo were still there as well as the track crossing in the foreground, we walked down to the area and there was one of the "J"s units parked on the track I mentioned. We took pictures and then walked over to the tower.
​  The guys always welcomed a visitor with information on trains. Always enjoy seeing what others have of this area. What a neat place it was.

Date: 01/08/17 07:56
Author: junctiontower

Less than a month left for the EL......... :(

Date: 01/08/17 11:21
Author: Seventyfive

Griffith was one of the best places to fan, anywhere, back then, and the E-L was one reason.  
Even in 1976, the crossing was still protected by gatemen; there were no automatic crossing gates.  
You can see one of them in the photo, along with two crossing bells on the black and white striped short poles.  
Thanks for the great photo.

Date: 01/08/17 14:53
Author: highgreengraphics

Great old shots, lots less variety there now. PS -I finally got the USB's turned on again and they recognize the slide scanner! Slowly but surely... === === = === JLH

Date: 01/09/17 13:20
Author: colehour

My youngest brother and I spent some time in Griffith around that year. There was still an agent or operator in the Erie station, and I recall he gave us an old copy of the Official Guide. The railroad folks seemed pretty laid back and friendly. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0646 seconds