Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Nostalgia & History > Frisco Friday: Riding the 'Highline' Part 7 (Finale)

Date: 03/24/17 10:51
Frisco Friday: Riding the 'Highline' Part 7 (Finale)
Author: cewherry

Photo 1: On the rear of No. 20 this day rode a business car. My best guess is that it's #5 but others may overrule me on this.
​              Earlier I wrote of the 'chicks' traffic that existed between Clinton and Kansas City. Looking closely at the photo it appears
              at least one extra car has been added ahead of the baggage car today. The business car attendant is taking a break
              while he observes the activity.

​Photo 2: Here is a much better photo of the interior of a coach used on these trains. This may have been just a branch line operation
              but the crew is attired in full-dress uniforms, worthy of the finest Frisco has to offer.

Much credit must be given here to members of Frisco.org and their fine website for details I couldn't have known first-hand.
Another excellent resource is the Truman Area Community Network, TACnet.org, for great historical details of the of the railroads
of Clinton, MO.

Charlie 

Date: 03/24/17 11:16
Re: Frisco Friday: Riding the 'Highline' Part 7 (Finale)
Author: refarkas

Great set of photos. Thanks for sharing your memories. You tok a variety of photos including interior views, and that made it come alive.
Bob

Date: 03/24/17 17:40
Author: The_Chief_Way

I just happened upon these. You should get some kind of TRAINORDERS award for presenting this material !  Much luck and thanks do much for sharing!

Date: 03/24/17 19:40
Author: mcfflyer

Great series - I really enjoyed it!  Thanks for that trip back in time!!

Lee Hower - Sacramento

Date: 03/24/17 23:06
Author: dan

good show

Date: 03/26/17 04:44
Author: sfn2633

This has been a most enjoyable series.  Thanks for posting.

In the days of mixed trains how did the chicks get distributed since the train stopped at Centropolis?  Did it really go no to Union Station or really end at yard near 12th street?  I have always wanted to know since I first read about this line in the Dolkos articles in Trains/MR.

Thanks again.

Jeff N
Olathe

Date: 03/26/17 17:30
Author: cewherry

sfn2633 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This has been a most enjoyable series.  Thanks
> for posting.
>
> In the days of mixed trains how did the chicks get
> distributed since the train stopped at
> Centropolis?

​The schedules of mixed trains 59 and 58 which replaced passenger 21 and 20 when they were abolished after May 28, 1954, began and terminated
​at Frisco's 19th St. yards, 1.1 miles beyond KCUS, so the schedules didn't stop at Centropolis. Passengers and 'chicks' were another matter. (See my remarks below)

Did it really go no to Union
> Station or really end at yard near 12th street?

​See above.

​The Official Railway Guide carried a couple of notes regarding the operation of these mixed trains;
​In the November 1958 edition of the ORG the following was added:

​     "Note​ 1--​Trains 58 and 59 will operate daily from February 15 to July 15, and daily, except Sunday, for balance of year.
                    Passengers will be carried in caboose between Clinton and Centropolis and intermediate points only."
     "Note 2--Only baggage cars are handled between Kansas City Union Station and 19th Street yards in switcher service."

​With that said and with the fact that schedules operated over the entire route between 19th St and Clinton my best guess scenario is that the empty 'chick' baggage
​cars were most likely moved from KCUS to 19th St. in switcher service there to be added to whatever freight traffic was to be moved that day. Upon departure, the train
​probably next stopped at Centropolis which was now a flag stop whereupon any intrepid soul that wanted to ride could board the caboose. Northward, the scenario would
​be upon arrival at Centropolis all passengers would have to detrain after which the train would proceed on to 19th St, passing KCUS en route. Again a switcher would be
​employed to back haul the baggage and any 'chicks' the 1.1 miles to KCUS. That's my guess and I'm stickin' to it.

​Thanks for your comments. I'll pose these questions to the Frisco.org group and let you know what they say.

Charlie

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0781 seconds