Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Nostalgia & History > Frisco Friday: Riding the 'Highline' Part 6

Date: 03/24/17 10:33
Frisco Friday: Riding the 'Highline' Part 6
Author: cewherry

Photo 1: The highball has been given, the agent is rolling the baggage wagon back to its parking spot and two
               small boys are gazing at the shrinking image of No. 21 as it rolls out of town; next stop Osceola.

Photo 2: Somewhere between Lowry City and Springfield.

​Photo 3: After visiting Dad's relatives in Springfield we boarded No. 20 for the northward trip to Kansas City.
              Here is engine #1102 again, on No. 21, taking the siding at Lowry City. The employee timetable showed
​              Lowry City as the scheduled meeting point for trains 20 and 21. On Frisco's Clinton Subdivision Northward
​              trains of the same class were superior to Southward trains, No. 21 is the inferior train and obliged to take
​              the siding. Here it is doing so at 1:32PM, assuming both trains were on time. Sorry, a little of my rules
              instructor showing there.

Date: 03/24/17 12:35
Re: Frisco Friday: Riding the 'Highline' Part 6
Author: gcm

Excellent photos and info on your entire series.
Branch line passenger service with steam - legendary.
Thanks for posting.
Gary

Date: 03/24/17 21:21
Author: hotrail

Great stuff, but I am confused by the caption.  Clearly, photos #1 and #3 are taken at the exact same spot (apparently Lowry) and looking in the same direction.  Witness the same white house to the right side of the photos.  So the train you are on in photo 1 and the train entering the siding in photo 3 are both going the same direction, right?   Now i don't know the frisco timetables but if odd and even trains are traveling in opposing directions, something is amiss in the caption. 

​Thanks for posting such an interesting series of photos and accompanying story!!

Date: 03/24/17 21:36
Author: cewherry

hotrail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great stuff, but I am confused by the caption. 
> Clearly, photos #1 and #3 are taken at the exact
> same spot (apparently Lowry) and looking in the
> same direction.  Witness the same white house to
> the right side of the photos.  So the train you
> are on in photo 1 and the train entering the
> siding in photo 3 are both going the same
> direction, right?   Now i don't know the frisco
> timetables but if odd and even trains are
> traveling in opposing directions, something is
> amiss in the caption. 
>
> ​Thanks for posting such an interesting series
> of photos and accompanying story!!

​Thanks for your kind comments. Yes, both trains in Photo 1 and 3 are No. 21, but of different dates. A re-read the caption of Photo 3 explains that it was made after
​the family visit at Springfield and while aboard No. 20 a few days later. The presence of engine 1102 on both is explained by the normal cycling of engines on the same trains.
​South one day, North the next etc. Apparently our visit at Springfield allowed 1102 time to return to Kansas City, make another 'cycle' or two and then come south to be met by
No. 20 on our trip northward.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/17 21:42 by cewherry.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0967 seconds