Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Nostalgia & History > Alaska RR GP 49's

Date: 03/24/17 15:00
Alaska RR GP 49's
Author: Quakerengr

We are at Winona Jct, Wis, abt 30 miles  compass north from BN's North La Crosse, Wi terminal.  Train 107 at the time the BRC connection to BN to Pasco, Wa merchandise frt.  (This symbol replaced old 97 which was the CB&Q/GN hot frt to west coast.)  Alaska RR GP 49's are meeting the eastbound  "BNEL" merchandise frt from BN's Northtown yard enroute to Conrail's  Elkhart, Indiana yard  with run thru Conrail power.  The brakeman is "rolling by" the westbound train 107, from the safety of the MOW push car.. The remaining pavement is where CB&Q's platform for wwd  passenger trains was located.  This was the stop for Winona, Mn.,  across the river with the bus connection continuing on to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.  I am showing a date of Sept 1983  on the slides.

PWM  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/17 16:57 by Quakerengr.

Date: 03/24/17 15:04
Re: Alaska RR GP 49's
Author: LocoPilot750

I saw several of the GP49's going east through Osage City, KS on the old MOP RR back in the early 80's. At that time I think they were still fairly new, No Idea what they were doing there.

Date: 03/24/17 15:48
Author: HotWater

Nice photo!!!

In order to get "free shipping" from EMD McCook, IL, the BN allowed the Alaska railroad to have their new units delivered & preserviced to the BN Clyde Shops, in Cicero, IL. The units were then worked westbound towards Seattle, WA for barge transport to Alaska. A win-win situation for both railroads.

Date: 03/25/17 08:32
Author: Quakerengr

Thanks
PWM

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds