Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Nostalgia & History > N&W Norfolk VA Alcos

Date: 05/19/17 10:23
N&W Norfolk VA Alcos
Author: thebluecomet

A friend and I took a trip down the Delmarva back on a steamy summer weekend in August 1977. Took a chance and drove through the yard at Lambert's Point. Didn't have any issues, but was surprised by the conditions of the place. Run down buildings and the engines looked like something even Penn Central would have gotten rid of. Seemed odd for an outfit that was rather profitable.
Obviously things changed when I next hit the place a few years later.
Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the T6's were the N&W's only switchers. The flat tidewater area was probably an ideal assignment for them.

Date: 05/19/17 10:32
Re: N&W Norfolk VA Alcos

All from August 20, 1977.

Date: 05/19/17 10:36

First shot is at the small yard called Portlock.
The other two are from 1990 quick stop. Things changed dramatically and I didn't linger.

Date: 05/19/17 12:43
Author: halfmoonharold

The N&W felt that they were smart for weathering the lean economic years of the 1970's by spending as little as possible. They took all the so-called "junk" engines they inherited from the merger and ran them into the ground before going whole-hog on new power. It was a great time to be a railfan, but from what I've been told the employees didn't enjoy it much, lol. Great to see all the Alcos!

Date: 05/19/17 13:05
Author: krm152

Made a trip to Lambert's Point in July 1976, about one year earlier than your trip. Motive power situation was similar then. Mainly ALCOs including RS3 #2546. There were also a several FMs.
ALLEN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0379 seconds