Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Nostalgia & History > Midweek Menu - Buffalo Rochester and Pittsburgh

Date: 07/12/17 07:12
Midweek Menu - Buffalo Rochester and Pittsburgh
Author: njmidland

It is really amazing that there is a decent amount of information available about the Buffalo Rochester & Pittsburgh. The line was acquired in 1932 with its identity quickly erased. I was first made aware of the BR&P when I found a collection of their employee magazines which features stories and recipes from their dining car department. The simplicity of their dining car china makes it a great display piece.

Photo 1: BR&P diner circa 1915
Photo 2: Menu from about the same time period
Photo 3: Small clip-on to the menu for "National Apple Week", late 1920s. Many railroads that operated in New York offered variations on Apple Betty with vanilla sauce. I had my first from a restaurant in Ithaca, NY that got their recipe from the Lehigh Valley. Always a great way to use up stale bread!

Date: 07/12/17 07:15
Re: Midweek Menu - Buffalo Rochester and Pittsburgh
Author: njmidland

Photos 1 and 2: Menu from a 1924 Rotary Convention train. The top portion of the menu could be detached and mailed as a postcard!
Photo 3: The final china pattern used by the BR&P. After the B&O took over this china was given to the YMCA for use in their dining rooms - perhaps why a decent amount of it survives to this day.

Date: 07/13/17 14:42
Re: Midweek Menu - Buffalo Rochester and Pittsburgh
Author: mcfflyer

Another one of those menus from an obscure operation! Wow. Please, keep them coming! Amazing the food selection that they had!

Lee Hower - Sacramento

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0437 seconds