Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Nostalgia & History > Railfanning Maine in 1989

Date: 07/20/17 07:36
Railfanning Maine in 1989
Author: njmidland

Back in the late 1980's, I was spending a lot of time working in Lewiston, Maine. The place I was working got a daily switch from the Maine Central's "Lower Road". Sadly, my photo skills were terrible. I was not able to find any of those slides. However I did find a few from 1989 that might be of interest.

Photo 1: The 470 Club used to run an annual two-day trip to explore the Bangor & Aroostook each Memorial Day weekend. In 1989, they also did a one day trip from Northern Maine Junction to Searsport and back. This is at Searsport, waiting to return to NMJ.
Photo 2: The following day the BAR turned our train over to the Aroostook Valley Railroad in Presque Isle. That former interurban track made for a wild ride!
Photo 3: Danville Jct. was where the MEC and Grand Trunk crossed and did a fair amount of interchange. It wasn't too far from Lewiston so it was a good place to grab a sandwich and hang out at lunchtime.

Date: 07/20/17 07:39
Re: Railfanning Maine in 1989

I am always looking for good food and trains when I travel for business. I found a neat little French restaurant in the town of South Paris that I would go to for dinner. The Grand Trunk was also there, so another poor-quality image taken on my way to dinner.

Tim

Date: 07/20/17 07:40
Author: bandob

Interesting observation car in the second photo. Do you know its history? Rear roof line almost looks like C&NW Twin Cities 400 car.

B&O Bill

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/20/17 07:54
Author: monaddave

bandob Wrote:
<<Interesting observation car in the second photo<<

Ex-NP 4-1 Pullman obs, built 1948. I want to say it's the NP 391 Arlington Club, but I'm not sure.
Dave in Msla

EDIT - okay, the 393 Spokane Club, thanks! (see next post)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/17 09:09 by monaddave.

Date: 07/20/17 08:06

It was the NP "Spokane Club".

Date: 07/21/17 03:12
Author: JPB

monaddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bandob Wrote:
> <<Interesting observation car in the second
> photo<<
>
> Ex-NP 4-1 Pullman obs, built 1948. I want to say
> it's the NP 391 Arlington Club, but I'm not sure.
> Dave in Msla
>
> EDIT - okay, the 393 Spokane Club, thanks! (see
> next post)

This obs car was used as a business car on the B&A (#107 Burnt Hill) and was still on the property at Derby shops as of June 2017. Note that it currently sports GTLX 363 reporting marks and may be headed off property.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0516 seconds