Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Nostalgia & History > Old clean Box, BKTY marks

Date: 09/13/17 09:30
Old clean Box, BKTY marks
Author: Fiftyfooter

It looks like some of these cars maybe were ex-GMRC(Green Mountain Railroad Corp) and ex-TASD(Terminal Dock Alabama) built in the late 70's originally!

Not sure, rolled thru a few week ago at Rosamond, look clean with old BKTY marks perhaps left over from the MKT days in the early 80's.

Anyone know more about this one!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/17 09:36 by Fiftyfooter.

Date: 09/13/17 10:43
Re: Old clean Box, BKTY marks
Author: rrpreservation

There was a little discussion about the Reporting Marks.

They belong to the Katy, but during the period of Barringer leadership the company had a substantial mortgage with a particular lender. The cars in that mortgage were under BKTY reporting marks, hence, they are marked BKTY rather than the typical KTY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/17 13:17 by rrpreservation.

Date: 09/13/17 11:38
Author: ClubCar

rrpreservation Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a little discussion about the Reporting
> Marks.
>
> They belong to the Katy, but during the period of
> Barringer leadership the company had a substantial
> mortgage with a particular lender the cars in that
> mortgage were under BKTY reporting marks, hence,
> the specific BKTY rather than the typical KTY.
Someone told me that a bank owned those cars with BKTY. Only the company officials knew which bamk held the title to the cars.
John

Date: 09/13/17 14:03
Author: NormSchultze

There are many of these boxcars with BKTY marks running on the Sunset Route. I've seen numerous trains with long cuts of old BKTY marks.
I think they may be used for auto parts coming across the border at Eagle Pass TX, but I do not have any direct knowledge. There is a massive car cleaning/servicing facility at Spofford TX, and many BKTY go there.

Date: 09/13/17 14:08
Author: Fiftyfooter

Thanks, interesting information!

Date: 09/14/17 14:54
Author: WrongWayMurphy

No secret - Bankers Leasing leased these to the Katy (hence the B for bankers)

Lots of these run on the SSW/SP across Texas these days, some clean like this, some patched, some tagged.

Date: 09/22/17 14:41
Author: GLC

These cars didn't have anything to do with the original BKTY reporting marks. Probably UP is using them as a marker for a specific class of leased cars. They have revived the CMO reporting marks for some applications, coal gons, aggregate gons, and some covered hoppers.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds