Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Nostalgia & History > Blue Canon mystique, a retro

Date: 10/14/17 10:45
Blue Canon mystique, a retro
Author: Copy19

Jim (Five Chime) Evans' Blue Canyon video yesterday on the western board reminded me of watching Fs with PFE reefer trains back in my college days in the early 60s. In fact I did this painting of Blue Canon based on a photo I took back then. The place has always possessed a special mystique being tucked away back in the woods amid the pines away from the interstate.

I can't make the little "doo-hickey" that is supposed to go above the "n" in the Spanish spelling of canyon. I recall the station sign was spelled Canon without the mark.

My wife and I visited the spot many, many years after the scene in my painting. The trees had grown taller and thicker and the yellow building on the right was gone and the grade crossing was paved and had crossing signals. We didn't see a train that day but a track machine came up the hill and the operator gave us a friendly wave.

But even today in my memory I can still hear the dynamic brake whine of those F units coming off the Hill...

John Bromley - Omaha

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/17 16:56 by Copy19.

Date: 10/14/17 11:29
Re: Blue Canon mystic, a retro
Author: wag216

Great painting, John. Thank you for sharing. wag216

Date: 10/14/17 12:08
Author: Curt

Wow, that's fantastic! The F unit looks amazing.

Date: 10/14/17 12:10
Author: FiveChime

Very nice John!

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 10/14/17 12:59
Author: CarolVoss

I don’t see any dog in this.?
C

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 10/14/17 13:42

🐶

Date: 10/14/17 14:03
Author: spnudge

John,
Timetable No. 150, dated October 1, 1933, shows the spelling "Blue Canon" on No.1 & No.2 track. MP 165.5/166.6(miles from SF) is shown eastward on No.2 and MP 79.6 westward on No.1 (miles from Sparks).

Great picture.

Nudge

Date: 10/14/17 14:28

spnudge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John,
> Timetable No. 150, dated October 1, 1933, shows
> the spelling "Blue Canon" on No.1 & No.2 track.
> MP 165.5/166.6(miles from SF) is shown eastward on
> No.2 and MP 79.6 westward on No.1 (miles from
> Sparks).
>
>
> Great picture.
>
>
> Nudge.

Appreciate the info. This debate comes up every once in awhile. Kinda like Yuba Gap argument...

Date: 10/14/17 16:11
Author: GBW309

A "~" is called a Tilde mark and is placed above the letter. Think of Cañon City on the Rio Grande or the Spanish pronunciation as written Señor

Dave

Excellent painting also!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/17 16:12 by GBW309.

Date: 10/14/17 16:33
Author: TonyJ

The acoustics in Blue Canon can often produce the most amazing echoes when a horn blows.

Date: 10/14/17 16:55
Author: DynamicBrake

John,
That is one outstanding painting! As Curt previously stated, the Covered Wagon does look amazing. Blue Canon is truly a majestic place in the Sierras. Fortunately for me, I still have vivid memories of watching the parade through Blue Canon. Thanks for sharing your art John.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 10/14/17 19:52
Author: railstiesballast

John:
Wonderful work on the trees, and catching the haze that often settles into these side ravines on the Sierras.
Also a great balance between the train, track, company building, and scenery; this is much more than a painting of a train.
Mike

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds