Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Nostalgia & History > KO&G F's and Train at Muskogee

Date: 01/12/18 21:50
KO&G F's and Train at Muskogee
Author: BNSF-6432

Here's a train Frank documented pretty well passing Muskogee, OK in July of 1964, which seemed to be a good year for him trackside. The train is seen crossing the Frisco and MKT. With this line now gone, BNSF operates industries around town on the former Frisco while UP still uses the Katy as a mainline. While there to capture this move, Frank was also able to squeeze in a shot of the tower.

1) Four clean matching F units take a rather large train through town just east of the Midland Valley depot

2) Some random rolling stock near the head end of the train, looking down the tracks of the Frisco

3) A block of reefers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/18 07:00 by BNSF-6432.

Date: 01/12/18 21:53
Re: KO&G F's and Train at Muskogee

4) An opposing view of the reefers with a carbon car and an interesting gon

5) Several railroads represented in a string of 40' boxes

6) Taking a break after the passing of the KO&G train, a look at the interlocking tower with one occupant

Frank Tribbey pics from July 1964 in Muskogee, OK
PQM

Date: 01/12/18 22:10
Author: stevelv

Good stuff, That Seaboard Route of the Silver Meteor boxcar is really cool but that Virginian boxcar next to it was probably very rare! I don't think I've seen many Virginian labeled freight cars that weren't coal hoppers.

Date: 01/12/18 23:07
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

Did anyone get any pics of the 8444 running over the KO&G when it was returning from the World's Fair in New Orleans?

Rare mileage and it's all gone now!

Date: 01/13/18 01:10
Author: RailThunder

Very interesting. That Seaboard box car appears to show weathering from phosphate service wherein some cars carried the bagged product, but it seemingly got everywhere and stuck to everything hence the exterior.

Date: 01/13/18 04:15
Author: kgmontreal

Super interesting.

Ken Goslett

Date: 01/13/18 04:26
Author: King_Coal

Thanks for posting these rare views. Always good to see the train as well as the loks!

Date: 01/13/18 06:03
Author: oklachaser

Awesome photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 01/13/18 06:10
Author: WrongWayMurphy

What is the second freight car behind the quartet of F-units?

Date: 01/13/18 08:22
Author: cr7998

What a neat series of photos, a gold mine for the freight car aficionados. Wish I had taken more freight car pictures in the 70's and 80's. I never saw any of the Halliburton covered hoppers, as shown in #2 with HWCX reporting marks, I would guess that car handled drilling sands.

As for the second car, it is hard to tell what type of car it is, or the load. Appears the sixth car in the train is the same. My guess is that those are flatcars carrying some sort of manufactured product, perhaps pieces for industrial machinery. I wish the photographer had gotten a close up shot of either car.

The Sid Richardson Carbon Co covered hopper car could have originated on the T&P at Big Spring TX, where Sid Richardson Co had a plant that produced carbon black for tire manufacturing. The open frame gondola next to the Sid Richardson car is very unusual, I wish the photographer had taken a shot that included the reporting marks. I remember the Seaboard wagon top boxcars, I think some of them made it into the 70's.

Date: 01/13/18 09:40
Author: gcm

I agree - what an incredible set of photos.
The freight cars pictured are classic (I also wished I had taken more boxcar shots).
Gary

Date: 01/13/18 13:22
Author: Rathole

Wonderful photos! Many thanks for posting.

Date: 01/13/18 13:52
Author: wabash2800

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Anyone have an aerial or map for that time period showing the three railroads and the buildings? It looks like the train in the first photo is negotiating some street trackage.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 01/13/18 14:45

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Anyone have an
> aerial or map for that time period showing the
> three railroads and the buildings? It looks like
> the train in the first photo is negotiating some
> street trackage.
>
> Victor A. Baird
> http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Here's a view from the current look, Couldn't find one fitting the time period. The Frisco has since been redone, being turned into a wye instead of crossing. You can faintly follow the curve of the Midland Valley where it crossed the MKT (north/south line) and then Frisco. Ironically Katy street is actually the former SLSF line and can be followed over to the Frisco freight house (left of the map) now the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame. The Three Rivers Museum can also be seen after scrolling to the left, which served as the Midland Valley depot.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7443675,-95.3700982,168m/data=!3m1!1e3

PQM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/18 15:07 by BNSF-6432.

Date: 01/13/18 18:41
Author: SCKP187

WOW. Such a rare post with KO&G---not much of that ever got shown.
These photos are excellent to show how it was back when Muskogee had its 3 roads. I remember these when exploring Muskogee when I first moved to Oklahoma, but don't have any photos----wonderful that you do.
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0874 seconds