Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Nostalgia & History > BN E with what train and where (1971)

Date: 04/13/18 12:24
BN E with what train and where (1971)
Author: valmont

Took this shot in Feb. 1971, but not finding any other info .... it's not Denver.

Date: 04/13/18 14:32
Re: BN E with what train and where (1971)
Author: YukonYeti

Ft. Morgan or Brush?

Date: 04/13/18 14:40
Author: Korigaoka1811

Might be the Chicago-Galesburg-Quincy remnant of the old Kansas City Zephyr.

John

Date: 04/13/18 14:57

I can confirm that I was not in the several places mentioned thus far when I took this shot

Date: 04/13/18 16:19
Author: krm152

While I do not know the specific location, the photo appears to have been taken at a major crossroads. Maybe that will help ring a bell.
ALLEN

Date: 04/13/18 16:40
Author: PHall

Pacific Junction, IA?

Date: 04/13/18 17:35
Author: cewherry

Billings, Mt?

Charlie

Date: 04/13/18 17:57
Author: rob_l

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pacific Junction, IA?

I'll second that. Wasn't the Omaha - Kansas City passenger train still running in Feb. 1971?

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 04/13/18 18:18
Author: dan

green with envy wherever it is

Date: 04/14/18 05:16
Author: Railfan2

Looks like the Illinois Zephyr maybe Zearing Illinois?

Date: 04/14/18 07:22

Could this be Lincoln, NE? Been trying to figure out from dates of other pics ....

Date: 04/14/18 16:31
Author: czephyr17

valmont Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could this be Lincoln, NE? Been trying to figure
> out from dates of other pics ....

I've been studying the photo, and while I am not absolutely sure, it definitely could be Lincoln, just southwest of the depot near Hall Tower, with the eastbound passenger train coming off the passenger main from Cobb. The pole line going off in the distance appears to follow the freight line around the curve towards Hobson Yard to the west of downtown Lincoln. The closest track in the foreground would be the connection from the passenger station to the Kansas City line (today's St. Joseph sub on BNSF); the other leg of the wye from Kansas City is hardly visible in your photo, but it would cross the passenger main and join the freight main toward Hobson Yard in the distance.

Next, the question of what train is this? It is clearly not the Denver Zephyr, which was scheduled through in the middle of the night, would have had more than one locomotive unit, and would have had a baggage car. The only other passenger train that was running west of Lincoln at this timeframe would have been train 16, the three day per week service between Ogden and Chicago that replaced the California Zephyr the previous year when the Western Pacific discontinued its portion of the operation. Train 16's scheduled time into Lincoln was 8:34 a.m., so the sun angle in your photo looks about right. I am puzzled, though, about the single unit; being February, perhaps traffic on this train would have been so light as to not require any more power. No baggage service was provided on this train, so the lack of a baggage car is not surprising. Between Omaha and Chicago, the train was combined with daily trains 11 and 12, the former Nebraska Zephyr. By this date, though, it as well as the Chicago-Ogden trains were only referred to by number.

Date: 01/09/19 12:24
Author: rsaltzman26

I agree that this is likely Lincoln, just southwest of the downtown depot and east of Hobson yard.  It looks very familiar.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0444 seconds