Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Nostalgia & History > Cheyenne Frontier Days Trains not featuring 844

Date: 07/02/18 18:30
Cheyenne Frontier Days Trains not featuring 844
Author: drgw0579

I now wish I would have done a better job of recording information on the Frontier Days Trains over the years.  These two photos show it in the early years (since it's 1992 revival) and I bet most railfans had totally forgotten when the train wasn't a long string of yellow cars pulled by a UP Steam loocomotive 

Photo 1:   1992 at the State Line, using Amtrak locomotives and the Ski Train cars.  No I wouldn't venture to this spot again (now it's in the middle of a Buffalo ranch)
Photo 2:    1999 at "Lucky Curve".   Why is it "Lucky Curve"?   After the train went by, we heard a kitten in the weeds by the track.  We fed it some of our cold pizza and gave it some water.  We got permission to go back the next day and if it was still there, bring it home.  We named him "Lucky", as in Lucky to be alive.  He's still with us and still eating our pizza,  And he's still very lucky to be alive.

Bill Kepner

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/18 18:32 by drgw0579.

Date: 07/02/18 19:30
Re: Cheyenne Frontier Days Trains not featuring 844
Author: upkpfan

Good for you on saving the kitty. Good job. upkpfan

Date: 07/02/18 19:38
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Surely you can post a photo of the cat. right ?

Date: 07/02/18 20:12
Author: drgw0579

Getting into trouble, as usual.

Date: 07/02/18 20:20
Author: tomstp

They just won't stay off a layout.

Date: 07/02/18 20:41
Author: MojaveBill

We had a big grey male cat called Toby when I was very young, The funniest (and scariest) thing he ever did was when he marched up and down
the piano keyboard one morning about 0300.
After that, my Dad added closing the keyboard cover to checking the locks and winding the alarm clock before turning in...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/02/18 21:08
Author: ATSFSuperChief

Nice rescue and nice result looks like a happy cat. We have four rescue cats here and love them all, but the last two came as very feral and have become wonderful loving pets, the male loves to garden with my wife. The UP pics are also excellent. Would be nice if many now closed locations north of Carr were still available.

SuperChiefDon

Date: 07/02/18 23:25
Author: dan

1999 a rock collector derailed a train in front of the special delaying the return  5 or six hours

Date: 07/03/18 01:21
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Love the photos of the trains.   Yup -- I, too, had forgotten abuot the rains that ran beforeteh 844 pulled them.  GRET photos,each ofthem!

And I amsolytely love the photo of Lucky,  Yes, he is lucky t have fopund you, and what a great job yuo did with him.   Of course he loves to get up onto your layut -- cats love being up on high places!  Just as long as there was not a cat-astrophe with the trains, all will be purr-fect, and will make a great tail for you to tell.  No need fur you to be Manx-ious abt that!  He sems to be sayng, "Orange you gonna do something about this?"  But you probably collared him -- in the nick of time.  He at least did paws for his portait!  <G>

(OK -- I'll go now!  LOL!  Wouldn't do to have ya cast as-Persions on my pun-ny post!!  OK, jut kitten!  < <G! > )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/18 17:32 by Margaret_SP_fan.

Date: 07/03/18 08:43
Author: bobk

Nice shots and rescue story!  Also great series of puns, Margaret!

Date: 07/03/18 14:29
Author: upkpfan

"They just won't stay off a layout. " That is very true. Looks just like my sons cat he calls Kitty. upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0577 seconds