Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Nostalgia & History > Frisco Meet at Bristow, OK

Date: 09/24/18 19:45
Frisco Meet at Bristow, OK
Author: BNSF-6432

Here's a couple pictures Frank Tribbey captured sequentially in Bristow, OK. Bristow lies between Tulsa and Oklahoma City on the Sooner Sub now used by WATCO's Stillwater Central. In June of 1973 Frank caught a meet going on that has since become a thing of the past at this location. The siding is still intact but has not accomidated any meets in several years.

1) Eastbound 723 waits in the siding for the westbound to rush by as both crew members on the caboose gives a wave to Frank outside the door and in the cupola. The track extending to the left has since been pulled out.

2) 723 now has clearance to continue east accelerating by the Bristow depot just a few blocks from the siding.

Frank Tribbey photos from June 1973
Patrick M.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/18 21:20 by BNSF-6432.

Date: 09/24/18 20:01
Re: Frisco Meet at Bristow, OK
Author: tferk

These are real gems!

Ted Ferkenhoff
Flagstaff, AZ

Date: 09/24/18 20:17
Author: santafe199

A couple of stellar shots! Perfect stuff for 'Monday Meets'...

Lance

Date: 09/24/18 20:29
Author: MojaveBill

My wife, like many folks of her Dust Bowl age, grew up in Bristow after being born in Muskogee, something she used to remind Merle of, who was born in Oildale, a suburb of Bakersfield.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 09/24/18 20:51
Author: SCKP187

These are some of the best of Frisco and a cool meet.  Sure looks different now in Bristow.  Back then on the Frisco it was the Oklahoma Sub.  Thanks for showing these.
Brian Stevens

Date: 09/25/18 05:07
Author: refarkas

Historic treasures.
Bob

Date: 09/25/18 05:33
Author: bobdavis

A classic RR scene - company service boxcar, depot, water tank, order board - these shots say it all!

Bob

Date: 09/25/18 12:52
Author: SP8595

Outstanding pair of shots!

Date: 09/25/18 17:55
Author: Fiftyfooter

Bullseye! Man what a post, that second shot I can hear and feel them coming at me! 

Date: 09/25/18 17:58
Author: millerdc

This is the line folks are trying to revive passenger service between Tulsa (Sapula) and OKC.

Date: 09/25/18 18:18
Author: FriscoKid

Fantastic!

That's the RR I grew up on. Daddy was from Depew and Mama was from Sapulpa. The Frisco made sure I grew up in Springfield, but "I was a boy once in Oklahoma and always will be." (Thank you, Paul Harvey).

MLB

Date: 09/25/18 18:28
Author: dgraves

That caboose is a dead ringer for a Santa Fe hack.  Did Frisco purchase some second hand?

Date: 09/26/18 12:10
Author: bluesboyst

nice pics.. I just looked on google earth.  The depot and water tank are still there.....

Date: 09/26/18 21:22
Author: Q-GP30

I can just hear those U-boats barking out of town while that Geep was screamin’!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds