Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Nostalgia & History > San Luis Central 42 ft. reefers in Topeka, Ks.

Date: 11/23/18 09:07
San Luis Central 42 ft. reefers in Topeka, Ks.
Author: lilwes

Here we have 3 San Luis Central 42 ft ice reefers spotted at the docks of a produce disturber in Topeka. I do not remember the name of the company but it's building is still standing at the UP Kansas Ave. crossing.
1) taken 02-21-1972
2) taken 03-06-1972
3) taken 03-18-1972
All photo's taken by Merle Graves and are in the Wes Chiles collection.
Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 11/23/18 09:09
Re: San Luis Central 42 ft. reefers in Topeka, Ks.
Author: dan

trucks went to amtrak cars

Date: 11/23/18 11:22
Author: CPR_4000

Those are 50-foot cars, former Railway Express. The interior length might have been about 40 feet when you subtract the ice bunkers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/18 11:23 by CPR_4000.

Date: 11/23/18 11:58
Author: santafe199

I remember working a Santa Fe M.O.W. extra gang in the summer of 1974 just outside of Kansas City. When trains went by we had to take a break and give the them a "roll-by" inspection. I would notice those San Luis Central cars fairly often. Our machine operator Luis Vega used to kid me in his Mexican accent that the SLC was his own RR. I knew better, but loved to banter with him just hear him talk. Another time on a roll-by break one of my coworkers motioned to a passing SLC reefer and said we need one of those cars to derail RIGHT HERE! Of course, I asked why. He told me because they were full of cold beer. At the time I could never tell if he was serious or just full of it. But on a sweltering hot July day it was wonderful theory...

Lance

Date: 11/23/18 12:31
Author: cozephyr

Bet the San Luis Central reefers were loaded with potatoes-no beer brewies in the San Luis Valley in those days.

Date: 11/23/18 13:54
Author: PHall

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> trucks went to amtrak cars

Some of the trucks went to the first generation MHC's. San Luis Central brought a lot of REA's express reefer fleet.

Date: 11/23/18 15:03
Author: dan

left a lot of carbodies in the san luis valley  if there wern't enough grande ones

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds