Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Nostalgia & History > Train 1, truck 0 (no carnage)

Date: 01/15/19 17:41
Train 1, truck 0 (no carnage)
Author: santafe199

In May of 1990 I caught local job #45880, aka the ‘Darby Local’ off the MRL engineer’s extra board at Missoula, MT. I always liked the slow, leisurely change of pace this job provided. It was nice to get away from the usual high intensity of the main line, or the routine but usually busy switch jobs. But this trip on May Day would provide an extra bit of amusement. It seems somebody managed to park their Ford pick-em-up truck in an awkward place:

1. “Hamilton, we have a problem!” A city patrolman arrives at the scene, while my crew mate R D Galiher kills time (on the right).

2. MRL 1930, still in BN paint sits waiting politely with engineer Tom Hynes at the throttle.

3. Before you can say "open sesame", our patrolman has opened the truck so it could be rolled back a couple of feet. I can’t recall if the pick-em-up-truck-parker-encroaching-on-right-of-way-type-dude was ever aware of the episode. We got by and rolled on south toward Darby, did our work and returned north to Missoula. I believe that Ford was gone by the time we made the return pass through Hamilton…
(3 photos taken in Hamilton, MT on May 1, 1990)

NO Parking Zone!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/22 02:21 by santafe199.

Date: 01/15/19 18:19
Re: Train 1, truck 0 (no carnage)
Author: refarkas

Great back story and photos.
Bob

Date: 01/15/19 18:35
Author: johnambrose

Nice looking 77(?) Ford pickup

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/15/19 19:09
Author: ironmtn

refarkas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great back story and photos.
> Bob

Second that motion. Always glad to see your MRL stories and images. Keep 'em coming. -- Mark

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Date: 01/15/19 22:26
Author: dan

76 ford

Date: 01/16/19 02:41
Author: Roadjob

Great story, and smart of you to get some shots. I knew some engineers that would have moved it allright. I admire your concern for the fool.

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds