Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Nostalgia & History > New Owners, Same Paint.

Date: 01/22/19 16:17
New Owners, Same Paint.
Author: overniteman

The new owners being NS and of course, CSX.

The split up of Conrail's coming up on the big "20", however, I think it was actually 1998 that the deal was done.

Here's a pair of ex-Conrail GE's working for the new boss. And we'll stay at the same location.

Norfolk Southern (sigh) GE C40-8W 8426 and a BNSF visitor sail under the ex-PRR signal bridge on their way thru Leetsdale, Pennsylvania with an Eastbound double stack.

December, 1999

Date: 01/22/19 16:25
Re: New Owners, Same Paint.

Pretty much the same location, almost the same leader.
Same signal bridge which doesn't have much time from what I've read.

Norfolk Southern GE C40-8W 8428 has Eastbound autoracks rolling fast.

Leetsdale, Pennsylvania.
March, 2002.

Date: 01/22/19 17:15
Author: PHall

I still don't understand why Conrail "had" to be broken up. It was working, why mess with it?

Date: 01/22/19 17:24
Author: stevelv

Nice look back.  I always enjoy your posts on here.  The Leetsdale signal bridges were still there last summer.  The attached crappy cell phone shot was taken August 5th, 2018 in a brief visit when not much was moving 4 hours after NS had a major stack train derailment in the Station Square area of Pittsburgh derailing onto the T tracks.  .And oh yeah, I'm feeling my age with your reminder that its been almost 20 years since the Conrail breakup.
Steve B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/19 17:27 by stevelv.

Date: 01/23/19 08:53
Author: ntharalson

Conrail was broken up in 1999, which would have been 23 years after its inception.  It was broken up because both the CSX
and NS needed access to New Jersey and had the wherewithall to buy it, although it cost both of them a lot more than they
wanted to pay.  Read the book, "The Men Who Loved Trains" for the full story.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 01/23/19 14:11

Steve, much appreciated, thanks.

In you photo, is that blue bridge over the tracks the overpass they put in to eliminate the grade crossing by the Red Cap cleaners?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds