Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Nostalgia & History > OTD: SP Vaughn NM depot '78

Date: 03/14/19 09:23
OTD: SP Vaughn NM depot '78
Author: valmont

Here's a shot by Lloyd J. Hendricks of SP's Vaughn, NM depot on Mar. 14, 1978 ...

Date: 03/14/19 09:27
Re: OTD: SP Vaughn NM depot '78
Author: sptno

Beautiful building!
Thanks for sharing.
If I(we) had enough money to design/build our home, it would be fashioned like an old railroad depot on the outside.
We love the design of the structures, especially single story as we get older.
Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 03/14/19 09:53
Author: ctillnc

No longer there, according to Google Maps satellite view, although an ex-AT&SF structure remains standing elsewhere in town. As of 1948, the Golden State and the Imperial did not stop at Vaughn, but 43 and 44 did. The OG calls 43/44 the Southwest Limited on the Rock Island but they show as unnamed trains on SP.

Date: 03/14/19 12:32
Author: hogheaded

Nice photo! It was still there in 1984, minus the train order boards which John Signor rescued the previous year. By then, the operator was housed in a nearby trailer and the depot used for storage.

EO

Date: 03/14/19 13:07
Author: cewherry

ctillnc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>".... The OG calls 43/44 the
> Southwest Limited on the Rock Island but they
> show as unnamed trains on SP."

On the SP, on May 18, 1947 the name Californian was dropped from schedules No. 43-44 and the schedule was simply known as Passenger and operated to Tucumcari only
with through sleepers and coaches to Memphis and Oklahoma City handled by CRI&P trains 111-112 beyond Tucumcari. On March 13, 1949, Nos.43-44 were re-named Cherokee
and continued as a daily operation from Los Angeles to Tucumcari with connecting LA-Memphis and LA-Little Rock sleepers as well as a LA-Memphis chair car and a
Tucumcari-Little Rock diner-lounge continuing beyond Tucumcari on Rock Island's trains 111-112, also named The Cherokee. On July 8, 1951 the name Cherokee was dropped
on SP's trains 43-44 and continued as an unnamed head end business with rider coach train until January 9, 1955 when the schedule was finally discontinued.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/19 16:53 by cewherry.

Date: 03/14/19 15:38
Author: Frisco1522

Great shot, but with one of my pet peeves.  Agent parking his car on the platform.  Oh well.

Date: 03/14/19 17:22
Author: WAF

He doesn't want some low life of Vaughn stealing his car

Date: 03/14/19 20:15
Author: SCKP187

Nice photo--that is a beautiful building.
Brian Stevens

Date: 03/15/19 03:54
Author: Roadjob

I have a second home in Ruidoso NM. and usually take a day to go up to Vaughn to take in both the UP and BNSF action. Inevittably I get kicked off the property just sitiing on a dirt road near the BNSF mainline. I'm not even photographing! As for Vaughn, I don't know why anyone would have ever wanted to stop there. It looks like the Land of the Lost. Should have preserved that structure, it would have raised the property values!!

Bill Rettberg
Bel Air, MD

Date: 03/15/19 21:37
Author: Cabhop

If this doesn't look like a typical SP depot is because it was built by the EP&NW, or maybe by the time it was built, EP&SW, either way part of the property SP got when they bought the EP&SW.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds