Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Nostalgia & History > Howells Interlocking, Atlanta, Georgia

Date: 08/27/19 16:35
Howells Interlocking, Atlanta, Georgia
Author: RFandPFan

CSX and NS action on September, 2008

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/19 16:37 by RFandPFan.

Date: 08/27/19 16:37
Re: Howells Interlocking, Atlanta, Georgia

Date: 08/27/19 16:44

Date: 08/27/19 16:48

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/27/19 19:24
Author: srman

Very nice. Spent a lot of time around there between 1989-1995 while visting family down there. I hear its pretty much off limits these days.

Date: 08/27/19 20:13
Author: Trainhand

The old hopper is an old ACL or SCL phosphate hopper. I thought all of thse were gone from ballast service by 2008. You can tell the old  ACL/SCL roller bearing by the bolt under the axle end. It has a name I've forgotten.

Date: 08/28/19 06:21
Author: ctillnc

People use Howell and Howells in different ways. Most often, Howell without the "s" means the interlocking itself (and the tower that used to be there). Most often, Howells with the "s" refers to the ex-SAL freight yard nearby and sometimes the separate switches at the entrance to that yard. To make things more confusing, NS people are likely to refer to Birmont (immediately north of Howell toward Peachtree Station), Rockdale (immediately west of Howell toward Birmingham), or King Plow (immediately south of Howell toward downtown Atlanta). 

But there are always exceptions.

Date: 08/28/19 13:33
Author: Waybiller

The first and only interlocking tower that I ever was able to visit.  Tower operator on 1st trick was friendly and helpful trying to explain things to a very thick witted college kid.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds