Home Open Account Help 210 users online

Nostalgia & History > Illinois Central - Back in black

Date: 02/14/20 09:16
Illinois Central - Back in black
Author: Rathole

Illinois Central didn't waste any time in getting their locomotive fleet into the new "Death Star" image (I always thought it strongly resembled an AT&T logo).  Early in the morning of Nov 2, 1988 I caught three of the new image locomotives pulling intermodal train I-01 up Beale Street hill in downtown Memphis.  IC intermodal trains used the downtown route thru Central Station instead of the primary freight main located in another part of Memphis to avoid congestion.  These days it's pretty rare to catch a through freight train on the downtown line.  It's pretty much just Amtrak and a yard job now.   IC was once one of the biggest employers in Memphis and is still the second busiest railroad (as CN of course) in Memphis, behind BNSF.    

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/20 10:34 by Rathole.

Date: 02/14/20 11:11
Re: Illinois Central - Back to black
Author: santafe199

Wow, I think I hear Brian Johnson (ACDC) singing "...I've been gone too long, and I'm glad to be back"

DJ Sir L

Date: 02/14/20 11:49
Author: BruceStikkers

I still see some locomotives in pairs in black on the mainline through Champaign.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, Il

Date: 02/14/20 15:48
Author: krm152

Actually I've always like that scheme; it's a unique combination of simple and bold.
ALLEN 

Date: 02/15/20 08:52
Author: Habu

Rathole Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Early in the morning of Nov 2, 1988 I caught three
> of the new image locomotives pulling intermodal
> train I-01 up Beale Street hill in downtown Memphis. 

Another fantastic shot Steve; keep ‘em coming.

I-01 typically was powered by 3 GP40Rs, but it wasn’t uncommon to see it run with 2 GP40Rs & a GP38-2, as shown in your photo.

Of note, IC GP40R 3129 was the only GP40 that kept its dynamic brake blister when it was sent through the “GP40R” upgrade program. It also retained its L-shaped engineer’s window until it was overhauled & painted into CN paint.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/15/20 10:37
Author: Rathole

Well heck, after your memory jogger, I just realized I meant to put "Back IN Black" instead of "Back TO Black," so I have changed that.   I thought about using Los Bravos "Black Is Black" too.  

===========================================================================================

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, I think I hear Brian Johnson (ACDC) singing
> "...I've been gone too long, and I'm glad to be
> back"
>
> DJ Sir L

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds