Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Nostalgia & History > A 1994 day when the U.P. E-9 locomotives were visiting Kansas

Date: 03/27/20 13:17
A 1994 day when the U.P. E-9 locomotives were visiting Kansas
Author: JoCoLB

The date for this picture is Oct. 8, 1994. The Union Pacific Railroad's restored E-9 passenger engines were leading a westbound special at the west edge of Chapman, Kan., on the KP main line. The train was a passenger excursion destined from Topeka, Kan., to Abilene, Kan., and back. The Smoky Hill River provided a scenic backdrop.

(Photo by Larry Byers) 

Date: 03/27/20 13:38
Re: A 1994 day when the U.P. E-9 locomotives were visiting Kansas
Author: santafe199

Nice! I rode the UP a handful of times in my childhood 60s between Manhattan & Abilene. Even in grade school, the future railfan in me always wondered what my passing train looked like from the outside at various places along the way, Thanks for the look...

Lance

Date: 03/27/20 13:51
Author: JoCoLB

Thanks, Lance.  Those of us who grew up in the 1950s and '60s have fond memories of the "covered-wagon" diesels.

Date: 03/27/20 16:16
Author: Bob3985

Thanks for the great photo. I remember running those specials in various locations around the system. 
On many runs we would do Operation Lifesaver with the schools during the weekdays and excursions on the weekends.
UP's trains always looked good with the E's.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 03/28/20 07:50
Author: UP951West

Thanks for sharing your slide of this E-9 UP special along the Smokey Hill River . How I miss those glory days of UP public excursions.
They were first rate . --Kelly

Date: 03/28/20 21:03
Author: wpjones

Kelly, This is one of the S.O.S. fundraisers for the Topeka Station. Myself and Jarvis rode this one and Lynn Nystrom came and got Jarvis and took him forward so he could ride in the 949 for a short distance. I had ridden in them east of North Platte earlier. that year.
Seems like yesterday.
Steve

UP951West Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing your slide of this E-9 UP
> special along the Smokey Hill River . How I miss
> those glory days of UP public excursions.
> They were first rate . --Kelly

Date: 03/28/20 21:27
Author: dendavis

Yep, great memories, just not of ditch lights!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0297 seconds