Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Nostalgia & History > WVRRM Moving 98 year old NYC boxcar Greencastle to Terre Haute IN

Date: 03/30/20 17:04
WVRRM Moving 98 year old NYC boxcar Greencastle to Terre Haute IN
Author: CCDeWeese

I am on the board of the Haley Tower Historical & Technical Society which owns the Wabash Valley Railroad Museum at 1316 Plum in Terre Haute, IN. 

I went to school in Terre Haute at Rose Polytechnic Institute (now Rose Hulman) 1958-1963 and worked as a tower operator for the NYC 1959-1963 following two summers working for the IC as an agent/operator.

Terre Haute had eight staffed towers (24/7 or continuous) at the time: NYC JR Terre Haute and Duane, PRR Union, Vigo, and Preston, Milwaukee Spring Hill and Dewey, and C&EI Haley.  I worked at Duane and JR, and hung out at the others from time to time and knew a few of the operators.  

A dedicated band of railroad enthuiasists managed to save Haley at the time it was being closed over 20 years ago and got it moved back from the tracks.  They have since saved and moved Spring Hill to their site at 13th & Plum, which also has several other items of interest.  Go to the website for more information. 

The Society is actively soliciting donations to offset the $15,000 cost to move the almost 100-year-old car and construct track to display it. Tax deductible donations are being accepted at www.wvrrm.org or by mail to:
Haley Tower Historical & Technical Society
PO Box 10291
Terre Haute, IN 47801

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds